Bulkhead Launching

Mxrruss

I was concerned about scraping the hull while launching my Aquafinn off of a bulkhead, so we made this very simple system to launch it. I know this is a Sunfish forum, but the two boats are so similar I'm sure it will work just as well for a Sunfish. My only concern with the Sunfish would be the scoop sticking out for the self bailer on the bottom of the hull might hit a runner? (The self bailer is recessed into the hull on the Aquafinn) As you can see in the video it's just two 2×4 runners hinged to the edge of the bulkhead with indoor/outdoor carpet attached to them. I followed the plans provided on the my2fish blog to make the dolly that gets the boat to the bulkhead. The system works better than I thought it would and requires very little effort to get the boat out of the water. We are fortunate at this location though as there is only a two foot drop to the water.

I like the simplicity of that. I’ve launched at a friend’s lake cottage with the same bulkhead setup and your ramps would’ve been very helpful.

And I must say, that’s a fine looking dolly!

Back