Batton End Stuck In Sail Sleeve

Kris Styes

Hello All:

I have two baton ends stuck in the baton sail sleeve.

Any recommendations on removing them?

Thanks in advance.

Kris
Hutchinson, KS

It takes a bit of fiddling, but if you push the batten slightly up the pocket so the elastic is stretched, it's possible to spin the batten end through 90+deg (horizontally/flat). This will release the elastic that has rapped itself around. For your first attempt it might take 10 minutes, but with experience it can take as little as 30 seconds. There is absolutely no need to cut the stitching to remove the batten ends.

Once the ends have been recovered, measure your battens to determine if they are class legal, file off any excess from the actual batten. Then glue on all the batten ends with a contact still glue so that they do not fall off again.

That happened to me once. I spent 3 hrs getting the thing out. Since then I glue all the tips. I never want to deal with that again.

Thanks for all that helped with this issue. I have three sails, and had 5 baton ends lodged in the end of the baton sleeve.

I used this mechanic tool to retract (less than 30 seconds each, with 4 of the 5). The 5th one was miserable. I decided to cut the end of the baton sleeve to understand what I was dealing with. Why did 4 ends come out so easily, and why was the 5th one not coming out?

When I exposed the inside of the end of the baton sleeve I found a tension or elastic strap. I expected this.

The reason I had so much difficulty with the 5th baton end was the fact that the baton end had slipped out of the inside of the elastic loop. Had I know this, I would not of had to cut the stitching to remove it. What I would of done is to manipulate the baton end into the inside of the elastic loop and then used the mechanics tool to easily retract it.

The 'anatomy' of the end of the baton sleeve is important to see in order to position the mechanics removal tool.

P.S. It was easy for me to make the decision to cut the sleeve open as this sail needed minor repair.

Kris
Hutchinson, KS

If you need to purchase the mechanics tool, it is from NAPA, Part # 2391, 24 inches long.

Attachments

• DSCF3438 F For L Forum.jpg
    DSCF3438 F For L Forum.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF3439 F For L Forum.jpg
    DSCF3439 F For L Forum.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF3442 F FOr L Forum.jpg
    DSCF3442 F FOr L Forum.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 35

Back