Anyone Know Where to Get a Sailfish Sail?

Should I paint or varnish the entire hull?

• Varnish

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Paint

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cameron B

So, I recently received a free wooden Sailfish hull, and I would like to restore it. That's the part I know how to do, as I have done wooden-boat work before, and am fond of it.

To get back on track, I'd like to make this a nice looking boat, while updating the spars to aluminum (I need the strength of the aluminum where I live). This is easy, as I will just get Sunfish rigging. However, I've searched the internet high and low, and I cannot find anyone who may make Sailfish sails as a custom hobby, and sell them to others. That is why I've come here, as I used this forum when repairing my Sunfish by looking at other questions people had and such, and I felt that this was a good place to look.

So, if anyone knows someone who may make these sails with a Sailfish logo, or knows a website or place that does, it would be very much appreciated if you could list them here, with contact information. All I need is a Sailfish sail with (haven't decided whether I will varnish the entire hull or paint it) a simple design, which will be either all white with a black logo (if I varnish the entire thing), or white and blue [or] red stripes (depending on if I choose painting the boat) on the sail.

I won't be needing this for a while, as I have to save up some more money, and I am just getting done with my Sunfish restoration. If this person has spoken with you or something and you hand me their contact information for instance, they just need to know that it may be a few months or so before they hear from me again.

It's not a huge loss if I can't secure a Sailfish sail, as I always have my Sunfish rigging, which fits the boat fine. It's just I want to make the boat a really nice project to be proud of, and sail while thinking about how nice of a restoration it came out to.

I think your best bet will be to buy an aftermarket Sunfish sail without the Sunfish logo. You also probably don't want a racing cut sail - a Sailfish does not need any extra power. For a quality aftermarket non-racing sail, I'd recommend one from APS. Then, buy a sheet of sail number material and cut out the Sailfish logo. You will have to find the logo, enlarge it, transfer it to the sail number material, and then cut it out and stick it on.

For what it's worth, I have a used Sailfish sail for sale for $70, see my recent ad here on the "For Sale" page of the Sunfish Forum. I also have masts, and booms: $55 for a mast and $70 for a set of booms, but these spars are pick-up only in Cazenovia, NY near Syracuse as shipping is a gazillion dollars. Interested? E-mail me at: [email protected]

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Do you have a "Sailfish" which is wooden and 11'7" or a "Super Sailfish" which is 13'7"? The Sailfish would take a 65 sf sail like the Minifish and the Super Sailfish sail is the same size as the Sunfish. If you want a new sail, my sailmaker buddy Hunter at Schurr Sails in Pensacola can make you a sail with the logo, and whatever basic color scheme you want. It will run $375-400ish. He has made 3 Sunfish sails for us and they are fantastic. Tell him Kent sent you.

Starting in the early 60s the wooden boats came with aluminum spars and mast, we have a Super Sailfish awaiting restoration and that is what it had. It is a red hull with white deck. Here's a link to our blog for more info: Super Sailfish and Wooden Sunfish

I think your best bet will be to buy an aftermarket Sunfish sail without the Sunfish logo. You also probably don't want a racing cut sail - a Sailfish does not need any extra power. For a quality aftermarket non-racing sail, I'd recommend one from APS. Then, buy a sheet of sail number material and cut out the Sailfish logo. You will have to find the logo, enlarge it, transfer it to the sail number material, and then cut it out and stick it on.

Thanks for the help, but I'm not really keen on having to sew it onto the sail, as I have no prior sewing experience. I'd much rather find someone who can do it (even if it costs me a lot more), as I will at least know it was done correctly. :p

American sail has an extensive list of sails they make for past boats..
http://www.americansail.com/

For some reason their site is down. I just talked to them a couple of weeks ago about getting a Starfish sail for my boat.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out! :)

For what it's worth, I have a used Sailfish sail for sale for $70, see my recent ad here on the "For Sale" page of the Sunfish Forum. I also have masts, and booms: $55 for a mast and $70 for a set of booms, but these spars are pick-up only in Cazenovia, NY near Syracuse as shipping is a gazillion dollars. Interested? E-mail me at: [email protected]

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I could drive from Rhode Island to New York for some spars. I know it's not much of a distance, but I could also pay for shipping if I was to think about it. I'll be sure to check out what you have. :)

Do you have a "Sailfish" which is wooden and 11'7" or a "Super Sailfish" which is 13'7"? The Sailfish would take a 65 sf sail like the Minifish and the Super Sailfish sail is the same size as the Sunfish. If you want a new sail, my sailmaker buddy Hunter at Schurr Sails in Pensacola can make you a sail with the logo, and whatever basic color scheme you want. It will run $375-400ish. He has made 3 Sunfish sails for us and they are fantastic. Tell him Kent sent you.

Starting in the early 60s the wooden boats came with aluminum spars and mast, we have a Super Sailfish awaiting restoration and that is what it had. It is a red hull with white deck. Here's a link to our blog for more info: Super Sailfish and Wooden Sunfish

I believe that I actually have a kit built shorter model, as the nails in it don't look like they are precisely placed in and were done by someone, not by a factory (which I will be re-doing), and it is missing some form of an identification plate. However, I haven't actually measured it yet as I have been a little busy the past week. I was aware of the sail-area sizes being different for the lengths, and I will get that measured.

Also, thanks for the blog link, and I will think about and see what your friend can do. :)

Sail number material is self adhesive so you just peel and stick. Should be easy. If that is too difficult I recommend buying Alan's sail.

Btw Alan is right, shipping spars costs a fortune. You could have him cut the spars into short pieces and put them in a box for shipping.

as Beldar mentioned, you can make the logo using adhesive backed insignia cloth, and it is a pretty easy job! I did it a few years back for my Sunfish - see my blog post here: https://my2fish.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/making-a-sunfish-sail-logo/
img0207_004.jpg

Back