Age of Laser 257

Bardsley

Hi,
I have Laser 257 and I would like to know when it was manufactured and whether it was in the first year of production. What is the current laser sail number.
Thanks,

Hi.
I remember to a reply at TLF of someone that nealy ahs the same boat:
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=22656&postcount=3
So, I guess, "257" or "157" is the sailnumber of your Laser. Try to contact TLF "Berry" and ask to be on the save side for the correct sailnumber.

From a documentation at the former drLaser-"FAQ²" ("Who owns the oldest Laser afloat?") I remember, that the hulls of Laser #317 and #325 have been left the mould during spring 1971. Both hull have originally a green colour, so I wouldn't wonder if your beauty originally has a green colour (light green or darker "British Racing Green"), too.

I Remember, the counting did began "~" / "in general" with "#101", Kirby owned Laser #100 (the first class legal Laser) and did sail with sailnumber "0". This Laser is able to be visited at the "Mystic Seaport Museum" Richmond/USA. The Museum got it in 1989, Kirby did sail her for 18 years...

Ciao
LooserLu

I'm sure of the hull/sail number -- it is molded into the deck at the bow cleat. And yes the hull is dark green with a tan deck . I have the original sail, but mostly sail with one I purchased about 20 years ago. Everything else is original and I still sail her. She got a lot of use over this 4th of July weekend, even some sailing around with Laser #1791.

Attachments

• P7140081c.jpg
    P7140081c.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 99
A great testament to the Laser design... #257 is the oldest boat I have seen... I have #1769 and have only physically seen one older #1104 on Lake Wawassee in Syracuse, IN... My newest boat is spry by comparison, #11607

Bring back the colored sails!

Yes, I know the argument about stretching and all that, but since our sails don't last more than (fill in the blank) years, the argument doesn't hold up...

Not to change topic, but its on topic, does anyone have a chart or something with a range of sail numbers for each year? I also was wondering about my hull 883, but have not been lucky in finding such a document.

Thanks,
Tyler

Attached list is taken from UK Laser Association website. Doesn't go back far enough for your number though.

Attachments

• BoatAge[1].pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 63

Back