Adjustable Vang

squash

I know that many racers use adjustable vangs, but I have had trouble finding a clear explanation of how it is rigged. Can anyone here help?

I am not so sure that Sunfish racers use an ADJUSTABLE vang. A vang yes, but it isn't readily adjustable, like on a Laser.

You can check with PJ and Eduardo on their website to see if my statement makes sense. Unfortunately, the pictures are pretty small with the OS I am using on my computer (Windows Vista).

http://www.starboardpassage.com/SP/SunfishRigging.html

if you click on a picture at the link Wavedancer included, the pictures get a bit bigger and easier to see.

I'm not a racer, and don't know that I'm doing it "right", but this is the method I have developed from reading and pictures like Wavedancer linked to....

I usually raise the sail, and tie the halyard off at my mast cleat, and then run the halyard down through the block (or fairlead, for newer boats) on the deck, then run the halyard up and over the gooseneck, back through the block/fairlead on the deck, and then to the horn cleat on the deck to tie it off. I push the lower boom down, and draw the halyard tight before I tie it off at the horn cleat, though.

this picture from the Sunfish Class might help describe it.
cleats.gif

cheers,
thad

I was fiddling around today anyway, so I took a photo of the halyard rigged with the boom vang. you can't see it, but the halyard is tied off at the mast cleat first, then down to the block on the deck.
Img0207_007 boom vang.jpg

It is possible to rig an adjustable vang using friction to hold it tight as you cannot add a cleat for it. The downside is is if you get too much purchase, you can break the deck eye. I have just asked our current measurer for his opinion on legality of it. The rules specifically mention purchase is allowed for the outhauls, but does not say purchase is permitted for the vang. Chris

Back