New Laser daggerboard brake

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by jeffers, Nov 10, 2009.

1. mackconsult

mackconsult Member

I went laser sailing on Sunday. Some one told me they pulled these from the market because of the screw hole alignment issues .....

2. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Interesting, I don't suppose you can confirm if that is definitely the case over on your side of the pond can you? I am attending the launch of a UK initiative called Active Laser over the weekend and intend to collar the builders rep about this issue.

3. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Hi Jeffers, is that at WPNSA? If so will see you there as we are attending the activate your laser event there.

4. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

It is the one at WPNSA, a lovely 4 hour drive on a Friday afternoon for me!

I am guessing Ian will be with you? Is Steve going as well? He knew nothing about it a while back so i filled him in on the details.

Have you managed to have a go in the mysterious Project X yet?

5. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Hi Jeffers, will be Ian and me, not Steve, as we are going on behalf of Weston SC. Our fleet has massively died off so hopefully it will give us some ideas on how to revive it.

See you on Sunday.:)

6. Off the beach

Off the beach New Member

You'll have to make sure you update us on both the Activate and the brake. We've an Activate happening at Crosby SC near Liverpool on 21st March. I was thinking about buying a brake at the boat show, not too sure now !!

7. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

A quick report back....

There is an Activate your Laser page on Facebook which has some of the info on it. From my point of view it was an super day just a shame I couldn;t get out on the water (I think you were the on the Sunday SailorChick, sorry we nicked all the good weather on Saturday).

With regards to the brake I was told (not by the builder but by a UKLA rep) that this is nothing to do with LP UK but is an ILCA issue and I should write to them about it.

One thing that was mentioned is that the addition of the (now permitted) rubbing strip at the front could make a difference.

What I am going to do it wait for the weather to warm up a little and then take another look at my boat with regards to rebuilding the front of the case to make sure I have rebuilt it enough and then add the permitted rubbing strip before I go about drilling holes.

Cheers,

Paul

8. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Despite the forecast we actually got really nice weather! None of the gales that we expected, instead a nice breeze and some sunshine by the afternoon.

Was a really useful day, lots of ideas to try and implement and was really surprised at some of the other clubs attending - my perception of them was not as the actual situation was (in fact a club that am considering changing to if Weston doesn't improve was attending)

One thing that really surprised me was the state of the rigging on the saillaser boats. These are supposed to be show case boats as well as training boats and the rigging was awful. I know they are rigged for ease of rigging but they should still function - I ran out of cunningham and kicker very early (had to bodge my cunningham to have a hope in hell of going upwind). Still a fun session on the water though.

9. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I was surprised they had them rigged as cascades given the issue with getting enough on with a cascade. Especially with the fact that they use a clip to hold the cunningham on.

Aside from that the hulls were nice and shiny, they were only delivered Friday apparently (although one did have a worry amount of bubbles in the gelcoat in the foot of the mast step).

I always find training boats are never rigged correctly anyway.

10. LASERNUT

LASERNUT Member

Did someone have a bit of a coming together on your day. There was a 50 pence sized hole in the gelcoat on my boat

11. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Tiny bit of exageration (sp) there! It was about a 5p size chip in the gel coat on the rear. :p

12. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Something I always find odd. I know they are heavily used by lots of people but if you put a novice in a boat with sail controls that don't work they won't be able to act on the advice you give them. It was also one of the suggested reasons people don't use their lasers - badly rigged and don't know how to improve them.

I used to be a member of the OU Sailing Club and used the shared laser they owned. Most of the membership were fairly new to sailing so I ended up rerigging the laser to get it to a fair spec but still easy to rig. I ended up covering anything that shouldn't be undone in electrical tape to ensure it was always in a good rigging state for the next user.

13. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Case in point, was doing some instructor pre-assesment training at Grafham Water Centre on Sunday. Their Laser 2000's were hopeless. The kite halyard would not flow because it was tangled around the cunningham and kicker (where the line leads back to the thwart). The kicker ran out of travel before anywhere near enough was on and the cunninhamg had snapped at some point and the rope shortened so it was next to useless.

For the sake of about £10 worth of rope and about half an hour of time this could be easily sorted.

Anyway I digress.... You need to ask WebMuppet about the gelcoat damage, he was one of those who actually sailed, i gave it a miss because I didn't want to bugger my knee up for Sunday.

14. forcejb@yahoo.com

forcejb@yahoo.com Member

Hull 174241. New brake installed with screws in original position doesn't come close to aft edge of the board. So it's drill and patch for me as well. Annoying that the mfr didn't do enuff testing to uncover the problem and include appropriate instructions/warnings.

John Barrere
    Fresno, CA

15. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Where does it say it is legal to drill new holes??

16. forcejb@yahoo.com

forcejb@yahoo.com Member

Nowhere. But what's the alternative if you want to use the new daggerboard brake? There is none. So those of us with boats that won't work with the new brake are supposed to forego it b/c of manufacturing tolerance issues? Give me a break.

17. sorosz

sorosz Member

I think the question that people need to ask is whether they are checking it on the water or on land before they decide that the brake doesn't work. Just because it looks like it won't work on land doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't actually work on the water.

Because I let myself get sucked into the controversy without checking it on the water I redrilled the holes on my main boat. But when I tried it with the original holes on my other boat it actually worked fine. I have since set it in the original holes on my first boat. I've sail both boats in various conditions and the new brake works better than the old "W". It's not perfect but then I haven't fine-tuned the adjustment (and what is 100% perfect anyway?).

Keep in mind there are more forces at work on the daggerboard than just the brake. If you move the brake far enough forward so it holds the board firmly when on the dolly (or even sitting still at the dock) you could very well find that you will have trouble raising and lowering it when sailing.

My advice is to try it on the water in a variety of conditions before deciding you need to drill more holes or proclaiming that it doesn't work.

18. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Sorosz, when they brak does not even contact the board when moved fully forward you can be pretty sure it is not going to work.

In answer to Fred, Clive Humphris (who is on the ILCA Technical Committee I believe). Advised to re-drill earlier in this thread. This is also the advice I got from the builder when i raised the issue with them.

If this is in fact not class legal then someone somewhere has some serious questions to answer!

As the part is class legal then I would say fitting it to the boat in an appropriate manner should not make you boat out of class (yes I know we are talking about the Laser here so who knows!).

As it is I have some more work planned for my boat soon now the weather is warming up so I will report back soon.

Cheers,

Paul

19. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

I've decided not to bother fitting my new style brake - will be fitting a new old style one this week as my existing one is worn out.

Having been to the Laser Q in Plymouth this weekend haven't heard anything positive about the new ones and chatting to some of the olympic squad girls they were going back to the old style as the new one was proving useless on the water.

My husband fitted his at the weekend but took it straight off as it was no where near the right place (and Aussie Hull 188xxx).

20. forcejb@yahoo.com

forcejb@yahoo.com Member