New Laser daggerboard brake

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by jeffers, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Paraic

Paraic Member

If you dont like it, dont buy it. Sailing is an expensive sport, thats life.

The laser up untill a very short while ago was using equipment you were more likely to find on a viking ship than a racing dinghy! The fact of the matter is almost everything needed to be updated and its LONG over due.

I only race at a local club level and things like this wont benifit me, but if Im still glad to see these things coming out. Take a look at the windsurfing scene, both Bic one design (first windsurfer) and the laser came out roughly the same time. Look at the technolocial advances in windsurfing in the last 30 years, its been made easier and more accessable. Its about time the laser class started doing the same!!

2. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Member

That may be so, but that's hardly an objective measurement...

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

That's why I put the little "roll eyes" smiley there.

4. starboard73

starboard73 New Member

To get back on topic...

Has anyone else actually installed the new brake yet? Did it require drilling new holes for proper alignment? I didn't install mine last weekend, but I may put it on this weekend.

5. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

There were 4 at the local frostbite near me who installed it. I think 3 out of the 4 were happy one had issues.

6. Der_Dude

Der_Dude Member

Actually the new brake looks like it is viking-mark-II standard at best. At 15 bucks extra.

The Laser manufacturers and the ILCA will understand what the Gouv and many on TLF are talking about when a competitively priced and durable boat comes on the market, the RS 100 or Rooster project X perhaps.

7. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Member

The roll-eyes smiley, eh? I never even noticed the different varieties before...

8. Paraic

Paraic Member

I hope your not confusing the cheap and accessable sport of sailing with the costly and heartbreaking life choice of boat owning!

Plus, I wouldn't consider the new RS100 competitively priced at nearly STGĀ£7k. A new laser is a tad over 4k at the moment

I know im fighting a loosing battle here

9. starboard73

starboard73 New Member

I checked one of the newer hulls (2008) and while I didn't measure, it appears that the old brake screws are indeed a little further up than on my 1998 hull. I guess you'd have to drill new holes for this brake.

Has anyone else drilled to install yet?

10. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Santa bought me one of these for Christmas. I was somewhat disappointed 9but not surpised) to find that it does not fit. This seems to be a common problem on UK built hulls. Has anyone else managed to fit one successfully or not, please let me know.

I have contact LP and am awaiting their response.....

11. Stevo_m

Stevo_m New Member

I fitted one of these just before Christmas and have sailed with it a couple of time since.

Yes it doesn't fit the current holes and I had to re-drill my hull and fill the old holes up. No big deal and dead easy to do, this was on a 160,000+ hull

What I have now though is a brake that actually works and the board doesn't move when I set it to where I want. looks like it's not going to wear as quick as my old brake too, but time will tell on that one!

Happy days!

Steve

12. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Thats disapointing that they don't fit, haven't got one yet but planning on getting one soon. Will be at the boat show this weekend so will ask a laser rep what they think is the best way of fitting them. Will be interesting to see if the lasers on show have the new brake fitted or not.

13. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Hi Sailorchick,

If you could report back that wold be great. I reckon they have changed the location of the hulls if they are fitted as standard on the new boats.

One of the other boats I know of that is having a problem is a 192,000 boat so not exactly old (unlike mine).

Cheers,

Paul

14. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I have had a response from LP, quoted below. They seem to think not many people have has issues fitting them, has anyone managed to bolt one straight on?

Email from LP:

Hi Paul

I have passed this e mail onto our warranty and technical departments.

You can expect to be contacted within a week to see how this is developing.

I do know that we have asked for pictures of a previous case so we can check that there is no damage to the boat which may cause the brake not to fit. Its not a problem that we have heard much about and the part was methodically tested by the GB squad before production.

Best regards

15. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Well I have a reply. To be honest it is what I expected....

Apparently it is down to the age of my boat (bull, I know of some almost brand new boats that have the same issue).

The advice from LP is to re-drill the holes in the correct place (which was what I was expecting to have to do anyway).

Oh well....as long as the part works then that should be fine!

16. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

did you make sure to pad the front of your centerboard trunk first? Would that help any before you go drilling holes?

17. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Hi Eric,

I have already rebuilt the front of the trunk as it was quite worn down (I did this when I refinished the board). It now looks like the board is in the same place as when the boat was new. The gap where the new brake fits is significant even when the brake is pushed fully forward on the current mounting screws. I would appear that I will need to wait for the weather to warm up so I can fill the old holes and drill some new ones.

Cheers,

Paul

18. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

I have the fear I'm going to have to do that to my boat as well. I'm not happy. One would think they would have made the track a little more so you could push forward, not just engineer it for a brand new boat.

19. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

The part was "tested extensively by the GBR Laser squad" prior to being released...... According to the people at LP anyway. I would not mind if they put a warning saying that your boat may require minor modification to ensure the part fits correctly.

Anyway when it warms up I will fit and report back....

20. Deimos

Deimos Member

Which maybe shows why the problem did not get detected. Seems that there testing was actually very limited as I suspect there are not too many older boats in the GBR Laser Squad. I hope other products they release have better and broader testing - as this reflects quite badly on the company.

Ian