wooden rudder and dagger are in bad shape

barnmom

Last winter I tried to sand and varnish and sand and varnish and sand and varnish myself. Still look really bad. So before I cave and buy new ones, I wanted to ask you if you think it would make sense to find a carpenter to give it a go. Otherwise I'll buy new but not wood again--too much wear and tear.

The foil new ones have better performance. Also. send a picture of your board and issues. Prior to the foil boards we all use to varnish our boards each season.

Thanks. I will send pictures tomorrow. What does foil mean? I see Sunfish direct sells fiberglass for $370.

The foil new ones have better performance. Also. send a picture of your board and issues. Prior to the foil boards we all use to varnish our boards each season.
Here are pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpeg
    IMG_1425.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Sometimes, when a good sanding takes off the oxidized surface, there's beautiful wood underneath. Varnish will bring out the grain. I've used epoxy, followed by varnish.

Untreated, someone at eBay (or here) will be glad to have them.

I just tried an aerosouth rudder and daggerboard and found them way better than anything I've ever used. Outstanding! Consider them if you buy.
The boards you have do look easily fixable though. I would do that first.

Back