Which sail is better?

laubster116

I'm in need of a new racing sail, but I am not sure which company is the best one... can you point me in the right direction? Thanks! :)

Everyone is going to say something different cause everyone has different preferences.

I would say Norths Sails (though I'm not sure if you can get them anywhere but in Australia) but I'm sure others will have different ideas.

laubster116 said:
I'm in need of a new racing sail, but I am not sure which company is the best one... can you point me in the right direction? Thanks! :)

Your choices are North and Hyde. The quality is supposed to be identical, but we could, and have, argue for days about that. North is more widely available in North America and they cost less, too. Nearly everyone in America uses North, so you'd be in good company.

157800 said:
The Hyde ones apparently have more resin in them so they are stiffer (at least for a little while).

Well, with specs the same, there can't be very much more resin, and anyhow, the Laser sail doesn't work properly with a lot of resin. Because it's an unstayed mast the sail has to be able to "mush" around. (How do you like that scientific term?)

I've sailed with both, and the hyde sails are definitely stiffer. When they're new, I would say the hyde sails are better. Even though they're supposed to be the same, the Hyde sail also has a slightly better cut. Once they're a few seasons old though, it doesn't matter.

Back