Which laser?

Paullingham

Hi all,

I am a 16 year old that until now has only sailed toppers, i feel that i am bored of them now as i have competed in them for to long and need a new challenge.
I weigh a bit over 9 stone at the moment but i should weigh just under 10 when i get one.
The question is which one do i get? i have been told to get a radial rig or a 4.7, but looking up on google the 4.7 seems a little to small for me so i do not know, when i weign enough i will upgrade the rig.
So is it a radial for me?
I am a experienced sailor that is confident.

Thanks all. :)

Paullingham said:
Hi all,

I am a 16 year old that until now has only sailed toppers, i feel that i am bored of them now as i have competed in them for to long and need a new challenge.
I weigh a bit over 9 stone at the moment but i should weigh just under 10 when i get one.
The question is which one do i get? i have been told to get a radial rig or a 4.7, but looking up on google the 4.7 seems a little to small for me so i do not know, when i weign enough i will upgrade the rig.
So is it a radial for me?
I am a experienced sailor that is confident.

Thanks all. :)

(for us 'merkins, 10 stone is 140 lbs)

You are probably the right size for a radial.

Mainly, check around your area and find out what people of your approximate age, size, and sailing ability are sailing. Look for the more active fleets, as sailing with 25 boats is more fun than with 4. Give yourself a little "headroom" for next year and the year after -- look at what people a bit older / bigger / faster than you are sailing.

Chris123 said:
(for us 'merkins, 10 stone is 140 lbs)

You are probably the right size for a radial.

Mainly, check around your area and find out what people of your approximate age, size, and sailing ability are sailing. Look for the more active fleets, as sailing with 25 boats is more fun than with 4. Give yourself a little "headroom" for next year and the year after -- look at what people a bit older / bigger / faster than you are sailing.

Thanks for that mate,
I am in dartmouth devon, and most people around here my age sail toppers, and then move onto lasers, so i think the radial would be the right coice for me.
How much roughly do they go for second hand? (a good condition one)

I am 16 too. Right now I sail standard rig and i only weigh 130 pounds. I get into the top 8 in the class of 35 boats. Most people in the class weigh about 160. I say you are just right for the standard rig.

You rekon? cause i have a mate that sails a standard rig and in strong winds he has trouble handling it, he weighs 11 and a half stone.

Paullingham said:
i have a mate that sails a standard rig and in strong winds he has trouble handling it, he weighs 11 and a half stone.

I weigh 15 stone (210 pounds, 97Kg) and I have trouble handling it in strong winds.
Weight isn't everything, apparently skill and experience come into it too :D

peterbye said:
I weigh 15 stone (210 pounds, 97Kg) and I have trouble handling it in strong winds.
Weight isn't everything, apparently skill and experience come into it too :D

Well i realise that, but my mate is very experienced and is a very good sailor.

Back