Which Laser for New Sailor ?

Sallyfstone

Hi Everyone:

I've got this idea that I would enjoy laser sailing. I have a Cape Dory 22
but Im thinking I would also like to have a laser for hot days when I just want to have some fun out on the water. I don't want to race. go super fast, or do anything fancy. I just want to sail around our inner harbor.

Which boat would be the best to get started with. Radial, 471, or ZUMA?
Im looking for the boat that would be the easiest and most stable for me
to handle. I weigh 120 pounds but am very athletic.

How often am I going to capsize in medium wind? I won't be out in heavy
wind. That part scares me. Is it really as easy to right the boat as my dealer claims?

Thank you very much for any ideas you have!!!

Sally

I think you should start with a radial. 1 weigh 115, and am 13. I have a radial. Its not that hard to right if you do capsize, and you can really get going.

i hate to suggest this but if that is all your looking for a sunfish might be a good easy goin boat for you.

If you are looking looking for something that is quick and easy to rig, then Sunfish that Sailor327 suggested is good. In flat water it's a decent sail and easier to right then a Laser. If you have a safe place to leave it, you can literally raise the sail and be in the water in under two minutes....

Zuma may be a good choice too, not that familiar with it...

Not saying the Laser won't be fun, but it does take a little longer to rig/de-rig

yah and plus it is usually really easy to find a cheap used sunfish just laying around in someones backyard but if you are planning on getting a new boat definatley go with that cause sunfish i think tend to have alot of broken parts.

sally

must concur with "49208"
sunfish is good boat to start out in, but then again a laser radial may be the answer if you are fairly atheletic & agile.
either way, both boats hold their value well & if you don't like one, you could sell one & pick up the other.

surely, you could find someone wherever you are to let you take one out & have a go at it.

laser definitely is a "funner" boat
IMHO

cheers

Thank you all so much for your responses. There are no votes for the Zuma? Any reason?

It looks like the concensus is a sunfish or a radial. Would a good compromise be a 471 to start, and then after I get more mastery,
move to a radial? Any ideas on that?

I still don't understand how often I can expect to capsize in a moderate
wind. Im just trying to get a feel for that. The water is not exactly
"bathlike" up here in MA.

Thank you again for your help. If anyone has any questions about Cape
Dorys, Ill be glad to try to return the favor.

If you know how to sail you probably won't capsize much at all in medium winds. If you are 120 pounds you are on the bridge between radial weight and 4.7 weight, although you will have a hard time with the radial at 120 pounds in anything over 12 knots.

Ya, it will be difficult for you to keep it flat. But all that means is that you have to hike a little harder and play the sheet and or use some more vang/cunningham/outhaul.

...and they really ARE easy to right after a capsize: once you've mastered it, there's probably no need to even dip a toe in the drink as it goes over - or comes back up.

Why not see if you can take a test sail in the various ones you are interested in. A lot of the dealers have demo days where you can try more or less everything they sell. Members of the local yacht clubs will usually be happy to let you try theirs as well.

49208 said:
Why not see if you can take a test sail in the various ones you are interested in. A lot of the dealers have demo days where you can try more or less everything they sell. Members of the local yacht clubs will usually be happy to let you try theirs as well.

Wise words... If you dont know what a lase is like to sail, try it. The first time i sailed my laser i found it very different to anything else i'd sailed and very responsive to rig setting. If you dont like the laser radial then i would say go for the sunfish (never sailed one but they seem quite popular and have good numbers).

Sally, just one thing. You mentioned cold water... Prepare to get wet, and I don't mean capsizing. Laser's are just plain wet boats. Shop around, and you'll probably find a deal. I got mine complete for $500, and I've already got my money's worth out of her. A Zuma isi going to be hard to find used, but they're fun too.

Thanks for your imput? Im considering the Zuma. Have you sailed one? Laser sailors don't seem to really like them. Any idea why? Thanks again.

No, I haven't sailed one, but I'm thinking the reason some might not like it may be that it's not as "racy" as a Laser. I'd like to sail one of those, and I'm also interested in that new RS Feva. Liking the idea of a foresail and asymmetrical. My local Vanguard dealer put it this way... "I don't bring in anything other than the Laser because they just don't sell" which means I have to drive to Los Angeles to try one out. Just like everything else, it all comes down to the dollar.

Sallyfstone said:
Thanks for your imput? Im considering the Zuma. Have you sailed one? Laser sailors don't seem to really like them. Any idea why? Thanks again.
We have 2 Zumas and 2 Lasers. The Zuma is less stable downwind (even though it is wider) than the Laser. The only time that we ever enjoy the Zuma is if we are going to take an inexperienced person for a sail (you can fit two in the cockpit). Another advantage of the Zuma is that it has a halyard so you can drop the sail. We will sometimes leave the Zuma on a mooring for a couple of hours or days with the sail down and tied to the boom.
For racing- definitely the Laser.

Back