Where's my Slip?

ArgonautEC

I own a Catalina 25 at Perry Yacht Club, Perry, Kansas. I'd like to get into single-handed dinghy racing this year and I'm thinking about purchasing a Laser. But first, I have a few questions. I'm 6'0 185lbs with 15 years of sailing and racing experience. Why should I buy a Laser? What advantages are there to buying a new Laser vs. a used one? How well do they do in handicap races? Am I too heavy for this boat to race? Where are Laser's raced in this area, i.e., Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, etc. What recommended Laser reading material is available? Thanks in advance for your help. -Earl

ArgonautEC said:
I own a Catalina 25 at Perry Yacht Club, Perry, Kansas. I'd like to get into single-handed dinghy racing this year and I'm thinking about purchasing a Laser. But first, I have a few questions. I'm 6'0 185lbs with 15 years of sailing and racing experience. Why should I buy a Laser? What advantages are there to buying a new Laser vs. a used one? How well do they do in handicap races? Am I too heavy for this boat to race? Where are Laser's raced in this area, i.e., Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, etc. What recommended Laser reading material is available? Thanks in advance for your help. -Earl

Hey Earl, welcome to the Laser Forum. Just to get you started, check out the map and district links here:

http://www.laser.org/districts/

Merrily

Why Earl should buy a Laser:

It is one of the strongest one-design fleets in the world with races everywhere, and on all levels. There is a thriving Masters (35 and up) circuit as well. I have never had to race a laser handicap since there are always enough for our own start.

Your height and weight seem really good for a full rig, even in decent breeze.

It is obsessive and addicting and you will meet cool people from all over the country.

Laser racing is probably the highest quality racing for the amount of money you spend. If you're just starting out in Lasers you should probably get a good quality used boat; maybe 1999-2002 vintage or so. If the hull is not soft and it doesn't leak, you probably won't notice a performance difference and will save one or two thousand over the cost of a brand new boat.

Really good books:

Laser Sailing by Dick Tillman

Complete Introduction to Laser Racing by Ben Tan, etc.

I think Annapolis Performance Sailing has these books.

Good luck!

My friend just bought a laser and said it was the best purchase hes ever made and that he loves using it maybe youll fell the same

you're a good size. It's easy to rig and quick to hit the water with.

Not expensive, lots of them out there, lots of people sailing them, fun to race.

go for it, you won't look back!

New hulls are stiffer and thus faster. If you are starting out you can surely start with a used boat, but preferably one that has all the upgrades (cunningham, vang and outhaul) so that you do not have to invest a lot of extra's in that. Westcoast has a helpful buyers guide on their website (follow the link at the top of the page).
You will find that a laser will be physically challenging, which is in fact definitely a plus, since it will be an extra reason to remain in good shape. Sailing the boat is, indeed, addictive and you can sail it on many different levels.
Good luck!
GWF

Hello Argonaut,
Here's the information you need.... This is a link to the contact for your District, which is District 16 http://www.laser.org/contacts/2.php and this is your Districts home page ( http://laserd16.tripod.com/ ) showing the fleets and events in your area.
I've met Tim Fitzgerald (your district secetary) at the Easter laser regatta last year (a must do event), He's a great guy, damn good Laser sailor and from what I've heard he's doing a great job with D-16. He has his phone number posted under the contacts link above.
Heck, I believe that if you give him a call he'd be able get you a test drive in a Laser and probably be able to give you leads to some good used boats in your area.
In my humble opinion you don't want to get a new boat for the first year.... because it'll take you a bit to get past the boat handling issue's and your boat will get some bumps and bruise's. After you get the hang of it and reduce the amount of swimming time then go get that shiny new Laser.
The laser will humble you at first, you make a mistake you'll swim, you'll find out in a hurry in a big breeze going dead downwind how unstable it can be. You'll swim alot the first year... Your the right size weight and height for the full rig and the skills you learn while learing to be competative in a Laser will transfer to any other boat you choose to sail.
Another thing you learn that when the breeze is honking and your other keelboat (leadmine) buddies are out sailing. It's a blast blowing by them on a screaming reach, planing with a rooster tail coming off of your rudder and sometimes even out the centerboard trunk. Welcome to the Laser world!
Best regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

There were a bunch of Kansas kids at the Austin yacht Club last weekend fro a college regatta. Some are Laser sailors and they know lots more. The age range goes up to Peter P. who must be about 50 by now.

If you have no luck finding the kansas Laser sailors through KU and its sailing team, contact me and I will help you contact the Oklahoma kids who stayed in my office last weekend. I am certain they know how to help you hook up with Kansas Laser sailors.
maybe you can take your laser out later this spring to watch a collegiate regatta and make a few new friends / coaches who will help you get rolling.

Back