Where to learn?

Jlockwo

I have only been sailing once one a large keelboat (no idea what kind), but I had the time of my life. I have been very interested in learning to sail...hopefully something small that I could manage on my own. Lasers seem like the perfect sailboat! One problem....I don't know anyone who sails and I can't find a place in MN or in a neighboring state that offers ADULT sailing lessons in a Laser or similar sailboat. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I go about learning? I don't want to buy one just to learn how to use it (and if I will even like it). It's either that or try to join the kids lessons that they have locally!

If anyone has any good ideas, I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks!

It probably won't help you because of distance, but the University of Wisconsin - Madison, has an excellent (IMHO) sailing program. Sadly, only one Laser at present, but a ton of single-handed Tech dinghies, and 420's (along with scows, J-boats, and larger...):
http://www.hoofers.org/sailing/

Drop me a note if you're interested and I'll try and hook you up.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering
sobering-at-mailbag-dot-com

If you do a yahoo search on sailing mn you will get a number of hits. There appears to be a number of programs to learn sailing. I know this is a laser forum but do not be stuck on learning to sail on a laser. Learning on a small two person dingy with an experienced sailer will be more productive than if you are alone on a laser. Faster learning and less frustration. All of the skills you learn will be transferable ( except for jib trimming ) to sailing a laser.
The University of MN has a sailing program and Duluth has a community boating program.

Andy

I'll check it out! Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried searching for Sailing in MN on google. But most everything I find uses large sailboats that require a team to sail, Not really what I want to learn. The only ones I can find with single or double teams are for children. But I'll check out what you suggested! Thanks!

You could try searching for ONE DESIGN Sailing in MN, that may give you some of the smaller boats.

Cheers,

These both came off the racing page at the www.laser.org addy.........
[email protected] -who is the contact for the Calhoun Classic run out of the, wait for it....Calhoun Yacht Club (go figure...) or;
[email protected] -who is the contact for the District 21 Grand Prix run out of the Wayzata Yacht Club
Gotta' figure there's some racing hence Laser instruction out at White Bear Lake too.
Good luck, let us know what you find.............

Back