where to find a trailer?

windrider

I was wondering if anyone has advice on where to look for an inexpensive laser trailer, Also, what's a good way to store spars while trailering a boat?

My trailer is a standard miscellaneous use box trailer, that had it's sides cut off, and is now flat deck. It's about the size of a sheet of plywood. the beach trailer gets dragged up onto it.

You can buy foam rubber holders for the spars which sit on the deck flat. I use tie-downs across the top of these and to the trailer's edge. It holds everything down nicely... even when I'm throwing it through s-bend at 160km.

Ok the last bit isn't true. It holds it all down under normal use conditions.

I was able to find one at a place that sells PWCs and the like. Often times they will end up taking trailers on trades. Sometimes there is a deal to be had.
This assumes you can fabricate your own bunks, mounts, etc.

Search the old threads here, we've had a bunch of discussions about them. VTGent49 posted a good batch of pics on some of the trailers he's used and converted, and search also on Harbor Freight as they sell an inexpensive utility trailer. Check the for sale section too

I bought a used 4 X 8 trailer in the paper for 200 bucks. Built a box on it to carry my windsurf gear and laser. If you're willing and able to modify a used trailer, it can be cheap plus what you put into materials.

I use a Sea lion trailer with custon bunks. When I went to the orange bowl, I stored them under the bunks on the trailer. just bungee them very tight. They were in a APS bag.

If you are storing the boat on the trailer deck-up, the "Spar Partners" from Nautical America a good way to secure the spars. All it takes is a couple of bungy cords.

Craigslist is good bet sometimes. Another good possibility is if you have a non-profit sailing school or boy scouts/sea scouts near by. They often get donations of equipment for a tax write off and sell it off cheap.

Back