Where are the under-deck plywood blocks?

AndyDove21

I've been searching on and off for a couple of days now, with no success. Is there any definitive guide as to the locations of the underdeck plywood blocks?

I've got dimensions for the ones either side of the cockpit for the mainsheet cleats (found on apsltd.com, eventually), but I think there's also one at the back of the cockpit (hiking strap), maybe a matching one at the front. Is there also one between mast and centreboard, where the new control line cleats go? I'd like to mount a dual-cleat there, but is there anything to screw into? Also what's just ahead of the mast - is there a block there, where the old style fairlead screws in?

/Andy

Hi,

If you're asking about 172xxx, then there is no block between the mast and centerboard. That ended years ago, but I'm not sure when.

There is one for the hiking straps, and the gudgeons, and the side deck cleats, but that's all I can think of.

Al Russell 182797

Yup...no blocks between the mast and board, even on old boats. I thru-bolted the cleats on 86153. If you already have an inspection port near the centerboard, you can just about reach up there :)

Thanks a lot fellas.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does the preinstalled Cunningham cleat screw into (between mast and ctrboard)? Tapping the deck, it almost feels like there's nothing under there? I'd like to upgrade to the dual cunningham and outhaul cleat block - but what's there to hold it securely?

It screws into thin AIR. I have an inspection port and added a piece of old hockey stick for the cleat and the "whatch-ma- call- it" up at the mast step.

Turin Gray said:
It screws into thin AIR. I have an inspection port and added a piece of old hockey stick for the cleat and the "whatch-ma- call- it" up at the mast step.

Old hockey stick....gota be a fellow Canadian EH!! I have done the same on my boat. I have a port on the starboard side at the hiking strap attachment as well in order that I can bolt the attachment point there.

Into thin air???!!! Eeek - luckily there's not much vertical load on that point (unlike the watch-ma-call-it at the mast step) - but all the same you'd expect such a central location to have some structural backing.

Something to bearing in mind - thanks for your help Turin. I'm English, so I can probably find a chunk of old cricket bat fit for purpose!

Back