When is a signal flag displayed?

Indrek Aavisto

The RRS specify that flags will be "displayed" from the race committee boat. I would like to garner opinions about the definition of "display" in this context.

If the furled flag on its pole is put up does that mean it is displayed? I tend to think that the flag is not displayed until the flag is unfurled. A judge opined that the flag is displayed as soon as it is visible, even if the flag is furled. I can't find anything on the internet that clarifies things one way or the other.

What do you think?

The RC's that I have been involved with have the flag unfurled before they raise it.

The procedure is that the flag is horizontal, in front of them, handheld. The gun is sounded and the flag 'rotated' 90 degrees smartly. Then it's placed. It's on a hand held pole, not on a halyard. It is visible from the time they pick it up, but not held vertically until the gun sounds. It is the highest level of signal, the gun being second.

But this is all my opinion and my experience. If the judge opines in a different manner, then I'm wrong ...

Most race committess, at least the good oness, will unfurl the flag horizaontally before-hand but try to keep it out of sight. Snapping it vertical is universally considered "displayed".

Everywhere that I have sailed, the signal flags have been raised an a halyard and consequently unfurled in the wind. (if the signal flags fail to unfurl then the subsequent race would be rather dull).

Important to remember (as 203 says) that you start on the flag signal not the gun. Many inexperienced race officers fire the gun to start the race then drop the flag sometime after.

When on a small committee boat with the mast only just above shoulder height then it is practical to hoist the flag quickly as the "hoist" is virtually instantaneous. However, on e.g. a shore based line with a decent sized flag pole, to hoist the flag from the ground would involve some delay. Under those circumstances, is the signal when the flag leaves the ground, is visible part way up or must one wait until the flag reaches the top. Answer, hoist the flag furled and the unfurl is the signal.

I suspect the best means to make a flag signal would depend on the circumstances. I would also consider that hoisting a furled flag prior to and without any sound signal would not normally be interpreted as a "signal".

Another aspect is the identification of a furled flag. When a flag is hoisted furled, how can you tell what flag it is. whilst you can maybe tell it is e.g. predominantly red, does e.g. a keelboat fleet always starting before a Laser fleet know what colour flag is used for the Laser start ?

Ian

How do you unfurl a flag after it is hoisted beyond reach?

You roll the flag up and tie it rolled with slip knot on the downhaul side of the hoisting line. Once at the top the uphaul keeps the flag up and the downhaul side is lose. When ready, keep the uphaul tight and pull on the downhaul and the slip knot comes undone and the line holding the flag rolled-up comes away and the flag unfurls (gravity/wind).

Several places I have sailed put all the flags they might want up (furled) so releasing each flag at the appropriate time is just a matter of pulling a line (the particular flag's downhaul). Lowering a flag is not so quick.

Ian

Back