What's the fastest hull finish?

I know that this has been discussed before but: Are there any data on whether hydrophobic hull finishes (eg wax, Rain-X) are slower than a dull fine-sanded finish which holds water? (I'm aware of the theory that the something already wet slides easier through water than something dry, which may entrain air bubbles etc) It wasn't so long ago that sailors in some classes were trying to inject air bubbles under the hull, hoping for a ball-bearing effect. Is the hull sanding allowed under to rules meant to give a dull finish, or just to smooth off bumps?

3M Perfect-it #09377 works wonders. My brother, a Tornado pro, uses it, as it does most of the spanish olympic team.

I use it in my Laser. Firstly, I find that the hull looks brand new (I never sanded my boat even when is more than 10 years old), dirt (oil, gas, petroleum stuff) does not attach which is great when sailing in big ports, I think it makes a difference in the blades.

Over my graduate studies in USA, I meet water chemistry Professor Marc Anderson (UW-Madison), at that time he was working a project using TiO2 nanoparticles to create a hydrophylic layer in any surface to reduce drag. The thing worked incredible well when testing drop angle over coated surfaces (I helped in those experiments myself). Anyhow, my brother was supposed to test it before Athens but lacked the time... the program was then reoriented into using TiO2 coatings to avoid biofilm formation in vessels, which was another TiO2 property, relase reactive oxygen species (ROS), when exposed to light. ROS are highly toxic and nothing grows there, they are not contaminants. Very cool stuff.

I miss graduate school, I learnt about many interesting ideas.

Hope it helps,

Is the 3m stuff hydrophobic or hydrophilic? There must be data on whether 'philic or 'phobic is faster somewhere! The laser rules state that "the use of slowly soluble applications which might alter the boundary layer characteristics of the hull are prohibited" - does the 3m stuff fall into this category? Does this apply to Rain-X?

Well that stuff was used by most tornado and 49er teams in Athens.

I wouldn't say it is hydrophobic.

Sanding is legal. If I recall correctly, polymer films are prohibited.

No hard data on different finishes and their influence in drag. I guess, AC projects may have something.

Cheers, nice sailing weekend to you all.

C

Sanding is legal, but not to remove mold imperfections, such as around the mast base.

"Slowly soluable solutions" ban was put in when it was fashionable to rub on liquid soap, then let it dry, before a race.

Teflon wax is pretty common, but not regular wax which is generally despised.

McLube is amazing stuff also. It or the teflon will make the boat slip off the dolly amazingly easy (even at unwanted times).

Use neither on your centerboard, if you ever plan to stand on it :-0

Hard data? Most would keep it under their hat, I'd say.

Al Russell

Back