What kind of sail to buy?

Palley

I am 145lbs, 5'8", and sailing Laser Radials. My current racing sail has gotten soft so I need a new one for a string of regatta's this summer (ACC's, NA's, Youth Champs, and Men's and Youth Worlds). I know that the Euro sail lasts longer in general than the North American but I have also heard that one of the sails has a slightly flatter cut then the other. Is this true?

The whole concept of one design is that they are all the same.

This of course does not stop the average 20year old telling fibs at your local club.

I know that the Euro sail lasts longer in general than the North American but I have also heard that one of the sails has a slightly flatter cut then the other. Is this true?
I'd think that is just a load of bullshit to be honest =p
I wouldn't know though as I'm european and I imagine my sails beeing european =p

the old cut was flatter, Pre-blue patches, but they got blown out to quickly, and they just plain sucked

there is still the argument of Hyde vs North, and I usually buy a Hyde for the peace of mind, and we did testing at CISA, and at least with fullrigs,the Hyde's trim different, and I like the way they trim

but with the current prices, go with a North, and save the money and buy yourself a new spare Acme Fatso carbon tiller extension, because everyone seems to be breaking theirs

In the UK when you buy a Laser sail you just buy a Laser sail (as far as I am aware anyway). There does not appear any choice between Hyde or North, just "Laser". Same in France. Am I missing something or are US sails different (or do European ones just give you whatever they happen to have in stock at that time). Given that they are all made overse3as somewhere I would have expected the US/European to be identical (i.e. same manufacturer).

Ian

they are the same exact thing, just diff sail makers, I'm guessing all Euro sails are Hydes

I would have thought everybody would have the same option of the 2 sails. Hyde which comes from the Philippines and North which comes from Sri Lanka.

Would be interested to know if this was not the case.

A few people here say there's a difference between the 2. At my level I could not tell.

I would have thought everybody would have the same option of the 2 sails. Hyde which comes from the Philippines and North which comes from Sri Lanka. Would be interested to know if this was not the case.
A few people here say there's a difference between the 2. At my level I could not tell.

The only reason sailors in North America have a choice is because Vanguard decided to import the Hydes because 3-5 years ago Hydes were better and Vanguard was loosing sales. There is absolutely no difference now accept one costs more then the other, I believe they both are now built in Sri Lanka.

Back