What do you think? [Boat Choice]

ARC1388

The past couple of weeks I have been looking for a sailboat to purchase. Last year, as you probably know, New Orleans was hit and, along with the devastation, the boat crew I raced with broke up seeing as there boat was in about 70 pieces in the harbor. My dad, I’m 17, was transferred and I am stuck here hoping the crew will get back together. Unfortunately, it looks like it might not, so here I am, clueless on smaller sailboats. The laser looks like the premium small sailboat but my wallet is a little thin at the moment (5.85 an hour will do that to you). I can reach to around 900 so I was wondering, not finding a Laser in that range, is there another boat that would be suitable? If so which kind? I've seen sunfishes and Force 5's all over the place and almost jumped at a couple of them but I thought I might want to get advice first. If, as it seems, the Laser is the only boat to sail then i'll wait and, with luck, find one. Anything would be appreciated.

Re: What do you think?

I ,ve had a lot of fun in my sunfish and then I got a laser. There is just no comparison, the sunfish is a toy compared to the laser which does pack a lot of real thrill for such a small craft. My sunfish is for sale.

Just be patient. You should be able to find a good laser for around $1000.

Post to the wanted section of this forum, if you haven't already. Get the word out at any local yacht clubs or sailing clubs.

Lasers are good, but there are lots of nice, cheap boats out there. The sunfish is a great boat as well- the hard chine makes it easier to handle in heavy air, and the lateen-rigged sail is so much more adjustible than most normal sails. anything you can find cheaply will work- force 5, 470, 505, any hobie or a-class cat, byte, thistle, Flying Dutchman, F-18, comet, scows, dart, fireball, flying fifteen, flying scott, lightning, Sabot, snipe, star, swan, anything you've heard of before. good luck with finding a boat.

As Rob said, I think you could find a decent Laser for about a thousand. I got my 1980 (but in great condition) for $1000 (canadian). It was basic (wooden tiller, old sail controls) but those can be bought later.

I think you can find a Laser in sailing condition for $1000 or so, though it probably wouldn't be in top racing condition. Sunfish is not a bad boat to knock around in, but I still prefer Lasers. As for the Force 5, how much do you weigh? At 17 you might be a little small. It's a slightly bigger boat than a Laser.

Back