What do you Texas sailors wear in the winter

Neoprene hiking pants...over the knee type.

Good breathable spray top.. I like the stuff REI sells for paddling because my arms generally have great freedom in those things.

Hat....My favorite one cost me $3 ar KMart. It is a knit head sock with a hole for the face. I pull it back over my head and let it sit around my neck downwind ( warmer) and pull it over ,my head upwind..(cooler).

Gloves?? Generallly if I need gloves it is soo damn cold anyway but...There are some neoprene hunters gloves at walmart for about $7 that last for most of a winter and ...if you dn't need them...what's $7 anyway?

Neoprene boots are a must as are neoprene socks. REI has some nice boots with good soles so walking to and from the boat is not an issue. Neoprene socks for about $10 are sold in a display along the back wall of the Academy store up on 183 or in Oak Hill. The store layouts are about the same.

You can also find head socks in the hunting section at Acedemy

Having bare mid calves is not a problem..In fact bare knees is not really all that bad. I learned this from Jon Baker a buch of years back when he was sailing in some brutally cold weather and had bare knees. The cold was not a problem...said he and I tried it myself after that...no problem.

Big thing to know. COLD HANDS are from a COLD HEAD. If you keep your head warm, your hands and feet will get the warming blood they need.

Back