what are the important upgrades?

kai

hello everyone,
last year begining of winter/end of fall i bought a 1992 laser (a little bigger and hopefully alot faster than the pico i had). it had its mast step repaired, but other than that the hull looks like its in good condition. ok now to the question. everything on this boat is pretty well "used", so i was wondering what should are the more important things to upgrade on this boat? im getting a newer vang off of a friend so that prob. be my first upgrade, but what should be next (centerboard, sail, tiller/extension, rudder, lines)? thank you.

-kai

happy new years (its been a while since ive been on the forum haha)

Definatly the outhaul, taking it to the deck instead of the boom means you can ajust it very easily rather than not at all. And if your doing that you might as well do the cunningham as well as the deck cleats come as a single unit, I personally hate the old vang, cunningham and outhaul with a passion, but maybe thats just because I started on a Laser with XD parts and only later tried the old style.

Apart from that not much else has changed i think, if its been used heavily and you can afford it id get a new sail but apart from that theres not a lot to buy.

ok thank you. can i get all taht in one big package? if so are there any websites for used parts or discounted parts?
-kai

You can buy the XD pack from Laser but thats quite expensive (£360 for new Cunningham, Vang and Outhall http://www.lasersailing.com/shop/uks/boat-spares/laser) But if you have a look at the system and buy the blocks, rope etc. from a different supplier and put it together yourself you could probably get it cheaper. Im sure people will be able to give suggestions on their personal favs for this, I cant as mine came fitted.

go over the nuts and bolts and rivets holding stuff on and check for looseness. that's a cheap upgrade that will save you tears on the water. Check gooseneck for hairline cracks near the bolt. Replace your traveler fairleads - another cheap upgrade. Oh yeah and get windows98 installed for your 1992 rudder - another cheap and excellent upgrade.

Back