Wet sail

PiersHS

Will the laser sails rot if I fold them when they are wet- I have done on other boats such as 420's but those sails where rolled...

Thanks

Will the laser sails rot if I fold them when they are wet- I have done on other boats such as 420's but those sails where rolled...

Thanks

I can't tell you it WILL happen, but I would expect a wet, folded sail to get mildewy and nasty. I'll fold up a wet sail to drive home, but I always spread it out to dry. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new race-ready (and class legal) sail, or if it's some old rag I've had for ten years. To me, not doing so indicates improper care of equipment.

I can't tell you it WILL happen, but I would expect a wet, folded sail to get mildewy and nasty. I'll fold up a wet sail to drive home, but I always spread it out to dry. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new race-ready (and class legal) sail, or if it's some old rag I've had for ten years. To me, not doing so indicates improper care of equipment.

I'd say it will definitetly get mildew and stains, I've seen people roll the sail up on the mast and leave them outside (even newer sails!), this will do a job on your sail.

Your sails will last much longer if you take proper care of them, I've found that if you hand wash your old laser sails with mild detergent, then rinse them with fresh water it works wonders to get rid of dirt.

Back