Question Wet hull

Tgray

I have a mid 70s SF. Had it nice and dry, repairs hull damage two coats of hull paint
After launching a few weeks ago I left it on a mooring. There has not been much rain
Went to put it on my newly built trailer found it real heavy. Pumped out as much as I could from bow access hole. Maybe 5 gallons So now it sitting on trailer at shoreline. 1st how are people weighing these boats? 2nd should I just pull it for summer to get dry or can I try to dry at trailer and sail occasionally? How the heck did so much water get in? Thanks

Your boat has a leak. There are instuctions on this site to do an air test by gently pumping air into the hull and then applying soapy water to all seams, joints, the splashrail, autobailer hole, etc. When the water bubbles you have found your problem.

For the time being you can probably sail it and pull it out after each sail. If it is leading a lot during each sail, you may want to fix it now to make the boat easier to handle during the season.

Your boat has a leak. There are instuctions on this site to do an air test by gently pumping air into the hull and then applying soapy water to all seams, joints, the splashrail, autobailer hole, etc. When the water bubbles you have found your problem.

For the time being you can probably sail it and pull it out after each sail. If it is leading a lot during each sail, you may want to fix it now to make the boat easier to handle during the season.
I searched for leak test instructions but did not find can you tell me where to look?

Easy to install a bronze and rubber screw plug from the chandelier In the transom. (Epoxy putty) Pull it on shore or a shore station and elevate the bow.

mine leaks too. The edge seam. This summer’s project.

Moored, it's in a good level location to keep any "gained water" distanced from interior Styrofoam.

You could have a "porous" repair or a leak inside the daggerboard trunk. I think it's been reported only once here, but the bailer has leaked where the two layers of hull were bonded together at one time.

Before you start the leak test, fill the mast-step with water. Should the level fall down, where it stops is the level of the leak.

Back