WEST vs. Marine Tex

AQBill

Took a significant, nasty chunk out of my fish's starboard chine due to unintended impact with concrete. I know I can make a big deal out of this by cutting out damaged section and re-glassing but I was thinking that perhaps filling it in with epoxy putty and a little sanding might be the way to do this without too much hassle. The thickest part of the void would be about 5/8th inch or so. Any thoughts or experiences? Have used both Marine Tex and WEST before and like them both.

If I can span any opening with Marine Tex it's always my first choice for repairs.
West Epoxy is great, but requires fillers or cloth/mat.
As an example we repaired a 1-1/2" hole in an outboard lower unit using Marine tex. The motor has been running for at least 10 years since the crunch that took it out of service.

Also without fillers West Epoxy can be a bear to sand compared to Marine Tex; and fillers do take away some strength from the straight resin.

Second Mike's posting about Marine Tex. I've done holes as large as 2" (with surrounding damage) and they've stayed put for many years.

Back