Waterproof sailing pants??

macwas16

I have recently been looking for some waterproof saling pants. We have waterproof smock/spray tops, but what about pants?? Wearing a wetsuit is great, but that doesn't stop the innitial chill. I sail in Mass. New Hampshire, and Maine, THE WATER IS FREEZING HERE!! And I don't want to have to wear a drysuit, nor can I afford one, just to go sailing during an autum nor'easter. What do all these companies expect us to do, just take it like a man?!?! I know about the Camet 7000 pants, but those are not waterproof. I can't find anything at APS or Layline or anywhere!! Can someone help me...at all...??

Hi there!

I find that when it is really cold, just layering up some lycra (spandex) over and under my hikers is usually quite good. Layers are the way to go. Typically if you are working hard, you will warm up. However, when it is very cold and there isn't much racing or sailing happening (or if you're just out for a leisure sail), I tend to slip on a pair of spray pants over my hikers and everything else. I also really hate drysuits and I find that the spray pants that I have are just perfect on those really cold winter days of training (brrr... I prefer not to think of those days when its so nice right now!).

I hope that helps you out a little.
~~Keams~~

i am so glad i live on lake erie i never have that problem, i go out in my jacket and swim trunks even in like april you can the water is at least 60 it's nice :)

wear a layer or two of coolmax or another insulating type material between your skin and the wetsuit. It will provide the intitial warmth before you work up a sweat that the wetsuit will keep heated.

This is a good method as long as the water temps are above 50-55 and the air temps the same, however once either of those drop below, you really need to consider a drysuit or a full wet suit

There are drysuits out there for $250

Hi guys, I answered my own question. I just found out that Gill makes a waterproof breathable pants called the 427 dinghy trousers. They fit under their spray tops and together form an awesome water shield. Thanks alot. They retail for $129 USD, about the same as their spray tops. Thanks again.

Back