Water in the hull

Mike Smith

Hi - I am new to this forum - looks like a lot of knowledge here.

I have a Sunfish that was once my dad's. The keel was cracked several years ago from being hauled on an ill-fitting trailer and it took on water. It has been stored outside since. I can here some water gurgling around inside but very little comes out of the drains. Also it is now VERY heavy. Could the foam blocks inside have soaked up the water?

I really want to restore this and continue its use in my dad's memory. Overall, it's in pretty good shape - just the crack and weight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi - I am new to this forum - looks lie a lot of knowledge here.

I have a Sunfish that was once my dad's. The keel was cracked several years ago from being hauled on an ill-fitting trailer and it took on water. It has been stored outside since. I can here some water gurgling around inside but very little comes out of the drains. Also it is now VERY heavy. Could the foam blocks inside have soaked up the water?

I really want to restore this and continue it's use in my dad's memory. Overall, it's in pretty good shape - just the crack and weight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mike, go for it. All the necessary info is in this site somewhere. The fact that it was your dad's makes all the effort worthwhile. Yes, the foam blocks hold lots of water. You will probably want to add an inspection port or two and these are very handy for diagnosing and fixing internal problems. Just don't put any where you're going to sit!

Good luck!

Back