Was this a good deal?

kaoskorruption

Hey,

I bought a used Sunfish today for $800 with no trailer. It was made in 1991 (17 years ago) by Pearson. I did not weigh it yet. I did see a few small "spiderweb" cracks on the hull, but no big cracks. Other than that it was in good condition and had not been used that much.

Was this a good or bad deal?

Search this site for many discussions about the Pearson boats which appear to be of lesser quality than others.

Fred

It is a late Pearson hull and as such the first thing we do when looking at one for purchase or use is to weight the hull.
"standard" hull weight is 130 pounds.
I've actually owned a Pearson that only weighed 108 pounds and yes it was prone to cracking as the factory skimped on cloth/resin when manufacturing.
We do keep a close eye on the daggerboard well and mast step as they are the first places the lack of reinforcing shows up.
I will say it was my favorite fish as the 22 pounds helped make up for my "ballast"...LOL

Well there is good news for me. I weighed it and it weighs exactly 129 pounds. Perfect regulation weight. I just hope it stays at that weight. Thanks for all your help.

Back