Virtual Skipper 3

Merrily

Administrator
I purchased VS3 and am trying to learn how to use it. There is a vertical bar on nearly the entire right side of the screen, like some kind of gauge. What's it for and how do I use it?

Merrily

Hey....

The bar is the 'sheeting' of the sails. In automatic mode, you will notice the arrow moving up (out) or down (in), relating to the sail position and the point of sail. In Manual mode, you can click on the bar to where you want the sails to be. I often find myself switching from manual to auto, depending how I feel. I usually like manual downwind....

Sunray said:
Hey....

The bar is the 'sheeting' of the sails. In automatic mode, you will notice the arrow moving up (out) or down (in), relating to the sail position and the point of sail. In Manual mode, you can click on the bar to where you want the sails to be. I often find myself switching from manual to auto, depending how I feel. I usually like manual downwind....

Oh, thank you. I've just begun using the program, obviously, and I'm still using the automatic mode until I get the hang of the controls. I had noticed the thingy going up and down, but wasn't making the sheeting correlation.

Also, is there any way to turn off the music, but not the other sounds? I'm going to have that little ditty stuck in my head for eternity soon.

Cheers,
Merrily

Merrily,

To switch the music off. On the VSK3 startup screen you have the options play, Configure, View FAQ, etc. Go to configure, and turn down the music volume. That should do it.

George

HAHA!! I can do that tune in my sleep!! I did not know about those parameters he just described. If you are on anytime soon I am on most nights for a couple of races...name....of course...Sunray....

if you wanna be really tricky, rip one of your fav songs into mp3

and replace the one here: Vsk3\GameData\Menu\Media\Audio\Music\Mp3

anythings better than that menu music

Its also best played (IMHO) when using a Steering Wheel. The kind that you use to play Nascar games on the PC. A joystick would even help.

DaveK

I've never played with a joystick. I am used to the way I do it now, tho. My brother uses a laptop to play...one of those that you slide your finger on a small pad?? I can't do that to save my life. VSK4 is coming out. I think the graphics are supposed to be even better. I really don't care about better graphics. More sailing venues yes, I think there are a few more. I wish there were more people playing. Only on certain days..like Sunday morning, there are over 100 players on. Usually it is just 10 to 25 .

DaveK said:
Its also best played (IMHO) when using a Steering Wheel. The kind that you use to play Nascar games on the PC. A joystick would even help.

DaveK

Oh yeah? I've been getting Mouse Wrist from using it so much. A bit of carpel tunnel I guess. What brands/models are these devices?

Merrily

I've never played with a joystick. I am used to the way I do it now, tho. My brother uses a laptop to play...one of those that you slide your finger on a small pad?? I can't do that to save my life.
can't you just plug in a mouse?

Merrily said:
Oh yeah? I've been getting Mouse Wrist from using it so much. A bit of carpel tunnel I guess. What brands/models are these devices?

Merrily

If you want an absolutely sick joystick, check out the Cyborg Evo by saitek. It's fully adjustible, 12 buttons, POV, side-twist for rudder control, throttle, trigger, and a buncha cool blacklights on it. And it's only 40 bucks retail!

Or, the x45 or x52, also from saitek. Both are 2-handed flight sticks, absolutely the best for arial combat. 2 POV's, protected missile launcher button, pinkie trigger, throttle, complete surface controls.......

I guess you don't need one of those to sail a boat now, do you?

then again, the Evo comes with programming software...

winter is coming, this might be a good thing.

so what's it like? Coming from someone who use to play comptuer games, but now just works, works works, is it decently realistic, is it helpful at all, or just fun to mess about with?

I haven't but, pretty sure you can do it online against others. The wheel I use is a MOMO. Kinda expensive but, I'm a big Nascar fan as well.

BTW.... VSK4 is out (I think?)

DaveK

vsk3 you can race against 7 others, in fleet, teams or match racing (only against 1 other in match racing of course)

VSK4 will be out by the end of this month

Dave, you should get online and race, makes the game 5 times better

Back