Very useful knot

Saltybones

Watching the "Gust Adjust" video I found it interesting that Greg Gust brings the vang back to the cockpit with a truckers hitch and then "tucks it under the bungee" hoping it will hold. Ive been doing the same think except I eliminated the tucking under the bungee part.

I also have found a way to have an adjustable hiking strap without Loring's and Collie's hiking strap atachment piece.

I've come up with a knot and found found very practical uses for it all over the sunfish, so I thought I would share.

The knot is very simple and it would seem that it has already been done, but I have never seen anyone else use it or been able to find it anywhere. It is basically a self cleating trucker's hitch that can be easily adjusted to any tension.

To tie that not start as you would a regular truckers hitch. Starting form the working end tie a slip knot. Then, very close to the slip knot tie a simple noose (or reversed slip knot so that the working end slips instead of the tag end). Then take the tag end through a turning point that is ideally frictionless. Then feed the tag end through the loop made by the slip knot and then through the loop made by the noose. That's it. Pull the tag end to tighten it, and pull the strand between the turning point and the the point the rope slides through the slip knot towards the turning point to loosen it.

It has also been used to make outhauls and cunninghams for those that don't have cleats and I may try using it to adjust my outhaul/cunningham on the deck instead of the boom.

Try it out, play with it and you will find how useful it is.

Drew

Attachments

• knot.bmp
    624 KB · Views: 69
Attached is a working version of the diagram

Attachments

• knot.JPG
    knot.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 49

Back