Very Heavy sunfish

suepaulsen

We just removed a sunfish from camp. It definitely weighs more than the 130 pounds that I found for a weight on the web. Actually, we think it weighs a lot more that it used to (or are we getting old?) It is a 1973 model and we have guessed that it may be waterlogged (is that possible). Short of drilling a hole in it how could we know? I am going to be selling it and do not want to misrepresent it to the buyer. What do I do next? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

Well first tip the boat up on it's side and open the drain if you haven't already.
As for waterlogging it sure is possible.
You might want to "pressure test" the hull if it's gained water weight from just sitting. That means a crack/split/gap somewhere.

When I bought my Sunfish look-alike, it had been sitting a long time and was also very heavy. After sitting upside-down all winter, it was still heavy.:(

Draining may let out some of the water that has condensed inside, but there's a pretty good chance that the foam flotation inside is holding water too. Some leaks—like the daggerboard trunk—can be very difficult to keep from leaking again.

I'd recommend to the buyer that he install one or two inspection-plates—such as found on sailing catamaran decks. (It's easy). He can then let the boat's flotation dry out and also be able to sponge out any water that should enter later.

You are NOT getting older. ;)

Thanks, guys. Mike I am not sure what you mean by "pressure test", can you elaborate? We have stored the thing upside down with the drain open, and will do it on its side now. I saw a picture of inspection plates somewhere on the forum, I think and will print that out for the buyer. And I am very glad to know that time is not having any effect on me. It certainly has done a job on the sunfish.

I will be posting it on eBay near the end of August, hoping it willl find a good home. (I am in northern Vermont).

Back