Valuation help, please

steve_cohan

Hello all--

Have not been active for a while. Can someone give me a ballpark for selling my 2006 Charleston SC Worlds sunfish? It is in VGC, almost excellent, but I do tend to drag it on the sand sometimes, so the bottom is not shiny smooth. Sail has a very few very faint Carolina clay stains on it. Would include nice spar/sail bag. Only modification: added the rub rail APS sells. Includes aluminum Trailex with spare. Wanting to know: what is a good, fair price? Not wanting to hold out for top dollar, but not wanting to give away either. Thanks for the help, Regards, Steve.

due to the conditions of your boat I would say it is worth at least $2500 if it has no leaks at all( asuming the rudder and daggerboard are also in great conditions with no chips or dents on the daggerboard)
and with the trailer I would say maybe 2800 (don't know much about trailers)

I would go along with Matias. A Trailex trailer sells new for around $870 (APS) and then you still need to put it together (not a minor job). Of course, one does need the proper paperwork to go along with the trailer.

Therefore, my maximum estimate would be $3000 if the boat and trailer are in pristine condition, and my minimum $2200; assuming all the pieces are in average shape.

Re: Valuation help, please/asking $4000

Thanks Wave--probably my "sell it today" price will end up closer to $3000 but for now, still aiming closer to $4000. BTW, Trailer has full title, etc., very low miles, less than 600. Also, was able to use a little Bar Keepers Friend on the clay without any etch, so there is left only a very small amount of the red clay residue on the hiking strap. Maybe you could put it in the washer?

A new race equipped boat is $4,700 sticker price, so it can probably be had for $4,300 or so, and the trailer is worth about $800 new, so to get what you have new would be around $5,100 plus tax. So you might as well start at $4,000 and you can always come down. I bet you do end up nearer $3,000 as your boat is 5 years old, has been dragged on the beach, etc. but it all depends on how many people are looking for used fish, how many are on the market at what price, etc.

BB

Beldar, you are probably right.

I have been as negative as possible regarding condition, better for the prospective buyer to pleasantly surprised that disappointed. Condition of the bottom is pretty darned shiny and not really scratched much at all. But it is not that shiny shiny new boat look a lot of racers keep. But probably a hardcore racer would not buy this one anyway, since I added the rub rail.

Back