Used laser price?

Hey,

I've been racing lasers for 3 years and I'm considering selling mine, I'm not sure if I'll put the money into a new laser, or just save it (i'm about to enter college so you know how the money issues are). What do you guys think a ball park number is for my setup? I bought it pretty piecemeal and I doubt I'll get all my money back but the setup is pretty much like this:

1988 Laser (i need to check the manufacturer) hull #116794
Used only a few seasons racing, spent several years in a boat shed unused (stored deck down)

No soft spots in the deck, hull seems solid, mast step doesn't leak, never had hull leaks

Standard Rig, sail has about 20 days on it
Radial Rig, sail has about 2 seasons worth of use, last mark 5 radial I could find
Upgraded Vang, cunnigham, outhaul, all the older parts included, Swiftcord and Spectron 12 running rigging, new hiking strap and autobailer

Dolly, Spar bag, blade bag, spare parts and a spare top section and boom (both the originals, not in the best condition but worth having as spairs)

What could I get for that and I also have a trailer that I am not sure if I want to part with. How much of a premium could I get for the trailer? I doubt the money I could get would be worth selling it becuase at some point in the near future I'm going to have another laser and trailers are expensive and hard to find.

I'm located in northern New Jersey, sailing out of hte western long island sound if that effects the market price at all.

Thanks alot,

Kevin

What do you think I could get for that? And

Kevin - I don't know what fair price may ultimately be suggested for your boat, but I might be interested in buying it. When you get it sorted, drop me a note?

I would check prices here, the JSALIS web site, and on the Vanguard web site - it seems you can pick up a 2002 or newer for about 3500 in our area, based on what your list of stuff includes, I'd say somewhere between 2-3K.

You didn't say what type of brand trailer it is, the Laser specific Kittyhawk and Trailex trailers seem to hold their value well, a typical bunk trailer, in decent condition is worth 100-200 as long as you have a current regisitration (in some states they are a nightmare to register w/o one)

Preface..It does not matter as 17 or 21 years is not an issue really.

I had 116160 it was a 1984.

it was also one of the best boats I have owned. it weighed only 118 lbs an didn't leak until the center of the cockpit split from front to back. I killed it in four hard years of sailing way more than anybody else in my area but for three years it won a LOT of races that I probably didn't win with my skills,

I also mooched 11650? and used it to sail better than usual in a Masters NA Champs in Forth Worth.

If I found a relatively unused 116000 series boat today, I would give it a super hard look see. They may not have been special but they sure were not slow.

Your stash of stuff could bring you anywhere between $1500 and $3000 depending on who wants it. Check the for sale section of this site and see how others have priced their toys.

last? I got a great response from advertising on Craigslist.com

Watch out for scam artists from far away who want to bank transfer or send you a bogus certified check.

I recently paid $2500 for a 1996 boat with about three seasons of use, upgraded rigging, dolly, two sails in good shape but not new. It was a fair deal and I know of at least two other people who were ready to buy it, I just wrote the check first. Overall it sounds like what I bought is similar to your setup, although mine is a little less used and without the extra spars and radial rig you are offering. I'd say without the trailer you could get $2500 easily if you are a little patient and have a fair amount of Laser sailors in your area. I'd ask $2700.

I just paid $2600 for a '96 in nice shape. With dolly, one old standard sail, and a carbon tiller and carbon extension. I feel I got a good deal. I got it for fleet building, and it worked. My husband is out in the garage playing with it. Actually think I'll need another....

Merrily

Thanks, I'm glad I asked becuase I was thinking 1500 and apparently I can get more than that. Does it matter that there are some spyder cracks in one section of the bottom? They don't leak and I wet sanded the bottom as per DrLaser's article so its all nice smooth but I'm thinking that would make some balk, so I don't think I'll be asking 2500 but certaintly more than 2000 to start with. I'm not interested in selling it right now becuase the boat is covered and about 100 yards from my driveway with a few inchs of snow right now, but when its spring time i'll post some ads for anyone interested. Plus then you won't have to worry about storing it this winter anyway.

Merrily said:
My husband is out in the garage playing. Actually think I'll need another....

Merrily

UH Merrily???

This isn't "THAT" kind of forum

But I sure hope you build a great fleet. I have a 5 boat trailer and roof racks waiting to bring friends to sail on Sandusky bay.

gouvernail said:
I have a 5 boat trailer and roof racks waiting to bring friends to sail on Sandusky bay.

I assume you ain't going soon, unless you've put sled runners on yer Lasers. But if you can wait, Sandusky Sailing Club is having a regatta on June 24, and they may make it a 2-day event. I'll let you know. You can sail, then go ride the rides at Cedar Point Amusement Park.

Merrily

You've gotten pretty good ballparks here.

With all that kit, if you're in a large metro area, should fetch around $2500 w/o trailer.

Back