upper mast base plug

Nick Napper

After a prolonged capsize, I've got water in the upper mast - some has drained out around the base plug, but not all. I reckon I just need to remove the base plug, drain and reseal - how should I do that? How does the rivet go in in a way that doesn't leak?

cheers
nick

Hey Nick

Probably be easier to remove the top plug so you dont need to re-rivet the base plug. Having said that its not a bad idea to remove the rivet once a season to check for corrosion around the rivet hole. So now might be a good a time as any. I think the only way to seal it up is to use good old silicone! A small amount around the plug when you put it back in to make sure the plug is sealed, and then just dab a bit on the rivet to make sure nothing gets in there.

Adam

take a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill a hole in the middle of the cap this way if water ever gets back in there it'll just drain back out....
mind you i havent been in the laser seen i a few years im not sure if this even class legal.. cant see why not tho

It's much harder to right the inverted laser once the top section's filled with water, and it's much easier to capsize again, as that adds a lot of weight up high destabilizing the boat.

For that reason, the upper section is supposed to be air/water tight.

Therefore, I would recommend figuring out where it's leaking from, (either the rivet or one or both end-caps) and then opening it up there to drain the water that's in there now, rinse out with fresh water, and re-seal.

well thats how most of the people i sail with do it and the extra 5 pounds(most) of water in the mast dosnt make any difference when righting the boat

Back