Upgraded Rigging

Matlock46

I have a Laser that was built in 76 and is currently rigged in the pre 2001 mode. I am currently refitting the boat and will be sailing it along with my daughter. I am 5' 8" around 165# and My daughter is 5'0" and around 105#...my question is, should I consider the 2001 upgrades for the vang and outhaul and cunningham or just parts of those and if I chose to do that how much is required to keep the boat legal, in other words do I have to do all the changes or none of the changes or can I phase them in and still maintian the legality of the boat. Thoughts?

I guess what I'm asking is, since my daughter is so much smaller than I am,would some or all of the upgrades give her more control of the boat when she is sailing it. I have never had any problems sailing the boat, so I'm wondering if the upgrades would be annoying to me or if they are relativley transparent to the operation of the boat to old timers like myself?

for you, the upgrades won't bother you. The only drawback to the vang is that you can't 'pre-set' it. So before you round the windward mark, you can get it set to unload to a certain point.

For your daughter, the 15:1 vang should be a big help to depower the rig and get the sail flat.

Cunningham and Outhaul upgrades are nice for both of you, deck cleats are easy to manage and won't get in your way.

They are a little pricey, but it's an investment in the boat.

15:1 vang you might have to be careful on your boom, the '76s aren't sleeved and you could cause trouble there.

Both come in kit form with all the hardware. Harken and Holt Allen, I choose Harken, but I currently race on a boat with the Holt stuff so I doubt it matters.

hope that helps :)

Do a search here on:
upgrade rigging

You'll see a bunch of different threads going over the pros and cons of the new rigging vs updating the old rigging

Regardless of wether you get the upgrades or just add additional purchase to the existing controls, I would highly recommend adding the sleeve to the boom. It's not that expensive, the kit includes new rivets for the vang attachment and it's a pretty easy to do. It's Part No.: V11070 from any Laser dealer, $25 bucks

The sleeve really helps to reduce overbending and perm bends in the boom from super-vanging.

is it a full rig. and if it is i would only send your daughter out in below 10 mph because im 125 and i sail a radial and when it gets above about 15mph it starts to be a handful. and the upgrades are well worth it.

Back