tyvek deck cover

Because it is made of Tyvek.

I believe they market it as a "regatta cover", meaning you use it to cover up your boat overnight at a weekend regatta. It isn't very durable, and it doesn't breath. It is not a good option for long-term outdoor storage.

Because it is made of Tyvek.

I believe they market it as a "regatta cover", meaning you use it to cover up your boat overnight at a weekend regatta. It isn't very durable, and it doesn't breath. It is not a good option for long-term outdoor storage.

I somewhat disagree.
The first time I've seen these in the flesh is at the Laser Training Centre in Cabarete.
I was quite impressed with them - they obviously stand up excellently to UV and wind, given the conditions there.
They are a little baggy, so water will pool in the cockpit, but I'd consider buying one if I didn't already have the excellent Colie covers.

I second marginal's post about the Tyvek boat covers (from Intensity Sails) at the Laser Training Center, and let me emphasize that the sun really shines over there.
:) well, most of the time :)

PS: According to Wikipedia, Tyvek is permeable to water vapor.

I just got one!

If your talking about the intensity sails tyvec cover, then i dont think theres a catch about it. I got mine about a week ago and finally got around to putting it on my laser today. Its material (tyvec) feels like as long as you dont really push it, it can hold up as a standard cover ( its sold as a regatta cover). Like i said i just put it on today so i dont know how it will actually hold up, im just speaking what i think. Im going to be using it as a everyday cover because even if it breaks, i can purchase another and still be saving alot of money over the price of a normal cover. The cover has reinforcements of what i guess are an extra layer of tyvec in the shape of squares in locations on the boat where hardware protrudes like the outhaul and downhaul blocks and cleats, fairleads and traveler cleat. the cover fits perfectly and some thought was definatly put into making it. if your short on money and want a cover id say just go for it and once it breaks (if it does) then either just get another or get a legit laser cover that i assume will hold up better

I googled Tyvek to find out what Dupont says..

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/assets/downloads/tyvek_handbook.pdf is the definitive answer.

Here they say the product is good in UV for 1 to 3 months. So it appears the material is not good for keeping the boat out in the weather but for little more than a season.

Sunbrella ( did I spell it right ? ) is good for years and years. But it's bulky/heavy and something like three times as expensive. In the long run, one of the blue covers will be the $$ saver.

I use a temporary cover for another boat I own, and the convenience of storage and light weight is worthwhile on trips.

*edit* we just got a bunch of rain here in NY and to my surprise, i checked on my boat and the entire cover was drenched like a wet towel and i had to drain bout 2 inches of water out of the cockpit. on top of that, the pollen from all the falling flowers from the trees left my cover a brown tint. covers definatly not a good option for rainy conditions, i threw a tarp over it so hopefully that will keep the cover and boat from getting wet

Back