Tying Outhauls

navway

I am a six-month sunfish owner and sailor who has benefited greatly from reading this forum. I have a problem with my outhauls slipping, and I am hoping some more experienced sailors will be able to help. I have standard-rigged spars (not race-rigged). I think I am tying with the recommended method: stopper knot in one end of the line, which is fed through the end cap, passed through the grommet in the head or clew, then doubled back through the end cap and grommet again (for a double loop) and finally tied off around the line bundle with a half hitch. This last is the problem because it won’t stay in place but slips back until it jams into the grommet. I have a picture below. I should also add that with a new sail, my outhaul lines are not quite long enough to tie a second half hitch further up the line.

Seems like I need a better tight-line hitch. Also, perhaps I should not tie my hitch around the whole bundle but go around the only the working line.

Thanks much for any advice I’m what to do (or what “knot” to do).

JTS
5D07D652-8E75-4422-96F0-61CE0FE63A35.jpeg

That line looks too big. Switch over to 1/8th inch diameter Dacron cord, sold by New England Ropes and also found at West Marine. Tie a bowline through the grommet then run the line back through the outhaul tab, then back through the grommet if you like. Finish with some half hitches.

Thanks SC. Yes, I have 5/32” which is slightly bigger. I will try smaller, and cut them a little longer (mine are 2’), so I can tie a couple more half hitches.

Back