twisting sail and others

Tom A

Hi
I am a novice sailor of a Laser 2 on a Minnesota Lake.

Last year, I ran into the problem of flipping over at the mooring, and this community was a great help. Solved that problem by building a mooring platform with weighted buckets and floats.

So, now I need help with a new problem.

I have a full size Laser 2 sail with the top batten that extends across entire width of sail. Very often, esp in winds of higher than 10 mph, that batten fails to flip when I tack. The result is that the top of the sail is curved as if for a port tack, while the bottom of sail, and my intentions, are on a starboard tack. The result is that the boat (and I) get confused, loses headway and get locked in irons.
I have been able to reverse this most times by pulling the boom and bottom of sail and shaking it, after which the entire sail fills correctly and we shoot ahead. However, it is one more thing to pay attention to and to correct.

Any suggestions on why this occurring, and how to prevent it?

Also--I usually sail singlehanded. Is there a limit on the winds that Laser 2 can tolerate with a 200 lb single skipper? Any hints on where to sit, etc?

Also--I solved one problem. The ducks used to love to sit on my boom and dump. I bought a net with 1/2 inch squares, used to protect fruit trees from birds. When this is tied to bow, hull and sides, the birds go elsewhere.

Thanks.

Tom A

this happens in c420's but usually in lighter winds but to solve that problem just give the main a quick jerk as you cross over during a tack.

I've never personally sailed a L2, but I find that the reason is usually because the batten is too tight in the pocket. If it's a full-length batten, then it has a velcro adjustment strap on the end. Try taking all the tension off, and then pulling it just taut to the sail with not much tension. That's the fix for it happening in light winds. I can't think of why it would happen in heavier winds, other than you not tacking fast enough.

thank you.
I will loosen the batten, give the main a tug when tacking, and tack quickly.
Is there any advantage to having the batten tight, in terms of sail aerofoil performance, in light or heavy winds?

you can often tug the boom straight down, and the batten will pop over to the new side.

Easier than trying to thrust it into the wind and hope it pops.

The batten is shaping the top of the sail, obviously there is a sweet spot where the sail has good shape, and the batten doesn't get stuck on the wrong side.

Back