Turning over

Sunfish Man

Is there a method to use when turing an upside down sunfish back over to keep as much water out of the cockpit as possible? Because every time I flip my boat over a a lot of water gets in it and my bailer doesn't work right.
Thanks
:D

Is there a method to use when turing an upside down sunfish back over to keep as much water out of the cockpit as possible? Because every time I flip my boat over a a lot of water gets in it and my bailer doesn't work right.
Thanks
:D
Unless you can violate the laws of physics, there is nothing you can do. Probably a good idea to fix your bailer and carry a milk-jug bailer to help empty things out. You could also try to stop capsizing:D

A little practice really helps- you can learn when the boat is about to go over and hike out to windward further. I think that one or two factory pamphlets mentioned hopping over the side of the boat and landing on the daggerboard as the boat goes over so it never actually capsizes.

I'm new to this but the book I read said to let out the main sheet to bleed air or turn to windwerd wind. Both have worked well for me.

If your sailing in heavier winds particularily if the winds are gusty it is more efficient to pinch up (sail closer to the wind) than it is to constantly ease out the main. By pinching up you can avoid having to sheet in, ease out. There will be times however where a big gust persists and steering up doesn't do it, then you need to dump the main. Take care not to sail so high as to come about onto the other tack, this will get the adrenaline flowing.

"Pinching" is a very slow way to go to windward, but I agree with you. Would it be fair to say that "pinching" would have some part of the boom over the Sunfish's cockpit area? (As viewed with the boat upright?)

In moderate winds, it may be helpful to sit in the bottom of the cockpit with feet raised on the splashguard. (Chaise-loungechair fashion). Your center of gravity is so low, it's much easier to view the effect of gusts and to adjust rudder/mainsheet positions accordingly.

If you find yourself in trouble, move your weight to the center of the boat and just let go of everything. If you're sitting in the bottom of the cockpit, you're already there! :D

If its windy enough to capsize, its windy enough for the bailer to work. Go off on a reach and the cockpit should be pretty empty in no time. If not, something's wrong in the bailer. Should be an easy fix.

Incidently, I've find an excellent way to land in the water is to be hiked way out in a stiff gust and sail into a lull. It only takes a minute to get up and going so its all OK.

Back