Trying to rig my first Laser

Halfjack

Dad & Lad
:eek: What was I thinking?!!

After learning on a Sunfish, (new to sailing) I bought myself a Laser. I then proceeded to spend and embarassing number of hours trying to rig it, referencing four different sets of instructions. I almost even got it done!

Well, I'm getting some help tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone wanted to point me to favored resources online.

I already have the LaserPerformance and Vanguard rigging guides.

Thanks!

:confused:

The knee bone is connected to the thigh bone. :)

It took me hours the first time I rigged my Laser. Then some more hours the second time, etc. Hang in there--it's easy once you know how. I know, not helpful.

I noticed that the Laser Performance rigging guide has only the first 6 pages of the 12 page rigging guide. Do you have all 12 pages?

1) No, only 6 pages - and the parts they don't have in this version were some of the parts I needed! I didn't realize it was a partial file, I just knew it didn't cover everything.

2) My rig has the "Pro" ugrades.

3) I did get it rigged (and sail it for the first time) yesterday (Sunday) - I took notes and drew some diagrams. I'm still looking for more online references.

While the rules are tight on what you can and can't do, there's almost an absurd amount of time that can be spent making the systems as perfect as possible to meet your personal requirements. If you're new to the boat, try not to spend too much time worrying about the small stuff once you've got everything put together. You should really just get it together so that it at least works and you can go sailing with it for a while, and don't sweat the details until you're mostly up to speed upwind and downwind. The biggest gains and losses on the course have very little to do with your rigging.

Once it becomes clear that something isn't working the way you'd like it to, then seek out the people who are winning or close to winning on a regular basis. There are a few major variations on just about everything to suit different personal preferences. A few photos of their setups and a few questions asked is really all it takes to dial in your rigging, plus the odd hour or two to make all of the lines the perfect length with luggage tag or thimbled splices in the right spots to prevent breakdowns. Be ready to have people question your sanity for spending so much time on the rigging once you're really honing in on that last bit of friction or perfect amount of throw.

I find it's easier to understand the new laser rigging if you can break it down and concentrate on only one system/function at a time, rather than looking at the whole mess as one tangle of lines.

One lesson I learned was to set up the Cunningham line length so that you don't bottom out the blocks when you need to crank it down in a big breeze.

Back