Trying to find a fast boat

laubster116

I've been trying to find a laser for a few months now, and I was told that some lasers have been made faster than others. Was I informed incorrectly? Or if this is true, in what years were these "faster" boats built? :confused:

laubster116 said:
I've been trying to find a laser for a few months now, and I was told that some lasers have been made faster than others. Was I informed incorrectly? Or if this is true, in what years were these "faster" boats built? :confused:

The only true speed differences between Lasers is the nut on the end of the tiller :eek:

This information above is all true in theory but you will find that the newer boats are a bit stiffer than older boats and usually a little lighter. Siffer because of less use and abuse and lighter because of less water absorbtion. Having said that there are many older boats that are very competative.

When looking for a hull in North America, it's been my experience that most of the Vanguard built hulls are within a few pounds of each other, and the mast rake has been within 2" (mostly within an inch) of 20 boats that I checked. The Pearson built hulls have gotten a reputation for not being as well constructed, I haven't come across any to look at closely.

So, in my mind, I'm not looking for a superboat, I'm looking to make sure that the boat is still stiff, light, dry and with a good mast rake #. It's not unheard of to find a 20+ year old hull that fits that criteria, but they are rare...

there are also sometimes defects in the hull's straight out of the manufacturer. One example i know of is someone who got a 2005 boat and the stringers were extremly messed up so vanguard gave her a new boat. so now whe has two boats because they never took the old one back.

Hi,

If fast is your only criteria, not cost (and you are in NA), I'd get a new or 1-3 year old (babied) Vanguard boat. There are many construction qualities that seem to be vastly improved, and they back them up if you find some quirk.

I'm one of the few who cut a port on a day old boat, and take pictures etc. of the inside. My 182797 is the best I've ever seen the inside of.

But, to be fair, I must admit to using an older top section.

All that said, there are nice older boats, even '70's boats, that are great values, but "fast" wouldn't be at the top of the list of features. And, on any given day/race, the best "nut" will probably be up front in whatever boat.

Al Russell 182797

Well,

I was quoting the Boathouse:

The only true speed differences between Lasers is the nut on the end of the tiller

But you, Gouv, would probably fit his definition...thus be up front.

Al

Wowwza between my Nut advantage and my work in the industry advantage, it is a wonder I can still find so much available racing time to spend at the back of fleets.

Back