Trying to Decide on a Compass

windsong

Folks
I've become convinced that having a compass could be advantageous. Now all I have to do is buy & fit one.

It seems obvious that a Silva 103 is the way to go, but I have two questions:-

1) "tactical" or "degrees" for the scale? - the idea of a tactical compass appeals to me, but I can see that it only really works neatly if you are in conditions where the Laser will neatly tack through 90degrees which, as we all know, is not always the case. Is that an irritation, or does it not get in the way?

2) Mounting with XD kit - I've seen some of the older design cheap for sale which only have one hole in the mount rather that the two which are now needed for the outhaul & cunningham. Is it an easy matter to drill the required holes?

Any advice/help would be appreciated folks.

Glen

The Silva tactical compass is set up to work on a tacking angle of 80 degrees, which is pretty much right in most conditions. There is probably only five degrees difference between high and low groove, and you will have trouble seeing a five degree shift with a compass in a Laser anyway, especially in waves. It is much easier to use as you only need to remember one single digit number.

I use the older design but didn't drill new holes. Just cross the lines over - both go neatly through the one hole in the middle and it works a treat.

On the tactical compass, I find it hard to see the degrees on top unless from a height. You have to rise up to see the degrees. The only time I have needed this is when sailing in a race that the first mark is too far away to see. Then the race committee posts a sign with the degrees position of the mark.

I'm just learning to use my tactical. At the Easter Laser Regatta I sighted the first mark at "10." The closest I could sail in the waves while footing was 5 units on either side, sometimes 6. It became pretty easy to see little headers and lifts.

I have an older compass that had only one large hole in the center. I crossed my lines for a while but found a problems with friction on the outhaul. It was simple and problem free to drill new holes. :cool: :)

I'm assuming Ross was referring to the size of the compass rather than an assault on your personality Merrily :)

Uh, no. Like I said, I'm just learning to use it. Why would using it with my Europe make me a "big sucker?"

Yea, I'm referring to the size of the compass, it's a monster! The thing weighs like 3 pounds!

Back