Trimming: Port Tack vs. Starboard Tack

Zoey

Hi,
I have a 2001 Sunfish that I have just purchased. It's been along time since I've sailed a Sunfish and it seems that I have forgotten some things about the Sunfish's handling. Took the fish out tonight. It was blowing 13-15 knots with 1-2 foot waves. On starboard tack the fish performed very well. On port tack (with the mast affecting the shape of the sail) I had a hard time getting the boat to point and perform well.

Here's my question: Does the sail need to be trimmed differently on each tack? And if so, what is the the trimming technique for both?

Thanks,
Zoey

zoeyzoey said:
Hi,
I have a 2001 Sunfish that I have just purchased. It's been along time since I've sailed a Sunfish and it seems that I have forgotten some things about the Sunfish's handling. Took the fish out tonight. It was blowing 13-15 knots with 1-2 foot waves. On starboard tack the fish performed very well. On port tack (with the mast affecting the shape of the sail) I had a hard time getting the boat to point and perform well.

Here's my question: Does the sail need to be trimmed differently on each tack? And if so, what is the the trimming technique for both?

Thanks,
Zoey

From the FAQs on the Sunfish Class homepage:

According to Eduardo, "We sail two different boats because of the sail being against the mast on port tack. "On starboard, the boat must be sheeted with the sail eased more than on port. Overtrimming on starboard brings the sail too close to the middle of the boat.
Most participants (in a clinic with Eduardo) were not sheeting hard enough on either tack although the mistake was more prevalent on port. In gusts he recommended a big ease on starboard, a slight ease on port, and then after the boat picks up speed, some trim on starboard, and big trim on port.

PS: Eduardo is former world champion (8 x, I think!) Eduardo Cordero

Back