Travler

archcat

Hey All,

I put on a new travler (spectra) on my boat....but the darn thing isn't catching in the cleat, when I sail the thing just slides and the boom just raises. I used the proper line accortding to Vangaurd. Any suggestions on this one.

Cheers
Mark

do you have the plastic cleat? they tend to wear out on the edges, change over to a new metal one and it should hold the line. i had the same problem and switched over to a metal one and it holds o.k now.....terry

One option is to replace the cleat with a metal one (preferred) the second option is to put a new plastic cleat on and be prepared to replace it every now and then depending on the use.

I do have a metal one, I was thinking of sharpening it but I figured that would be a real pain.

Thanks
Cheers
Mark

since no one adjusts their traveller, I would just wrap it back and add a couple of hitches rather than cleating it.

Sounds like either the cleat grooves are worn or the line is too small in dia.
If it's the 12 strand single braid spectra line, another factor is that type of construction "flattens" out in a cleat, especially in the smaller dia lines that a Laser uses.

Additional fixes besides tieing it off as suggested above
1. Replace cleat
2. Replace line with thicker 12 strand or double braid line
3. Create your rope handle using a luggage tag splice (where you bury the tail of the rope back into itself. You want the buried section to be in the cleat area - this will double the thickness of the rope in that area and keep it from flattening out as well)

#3 may not be legal - I've asked this question over in the measurment forum...

take the biggest vise-grips you have and squeeze the top of the cleat a bit.. good charter boat trick.. :)

Also, if the line is brand new, go over it with a little sand paper. The new lines are really slippery, and sand paper helps to roughen up the line.

Back