Travler

hi guys and gals, i'm wondering if you can help me out, when i'm sailing my laser you naturally look forwards or at least in the direction the boat is travelling, and you have all the controles in front of you (kicker, cunningham, outhaul, mainsheet) but the one left out all on its own is sat on the deck at the rear of the boat, the travler so what do u do with it, i mean how oftern do you ajust it? like different wind strengths and stuff, somebody has told me b4 but ive forgotten, i promise to remember this time.

any help will be appriciated

cheers

before the start of the race pull it on as hard as you can but not so hard that the travler blocks can not cross the tiller the tighter the travler the better.

Especially in heavy winds while beating to windward, you want the traveller as tight as possible. Mine's so tight that there are gouges in the deck from the traveler blocks digging into it near the fairleads. I rarely adjust it, but doing it while going down wind seems to make sense, although I doubt you'd gain anything by doing so.

In lighter or medium winds, the traveler can be loosened up a bit.

In very light wind you have to reduce the force in your sheet. You can do that with loosening the traveller, and it helps a lot!

Back