trap for a laser?????

The_newkid6398

ok first things first,

i'd like to establish what i do not know before all you old salts start lashing me with ever so popular "what? you didn't know that?" line.

i do not know if a trapeze set-up is even a concievable idea for a laser

i do not know if a trapeze is even a practical idea for laser sailing

i have experienced the concept of a trapeze on a catamaran.

i was wondering if it is a common or possible thing for laser sailors to do such a thing. it sounds very fun and even more comfortable than hiking out. so let me know if that was a stupid idea or not. thanks

common - nope, never heard of it being done successfully.

possible - maybe for an opti kid but if your over 100 lbs it will probably snap the mast in any type of winds that need it.

It's easy to bend a Laser top or bottom mast section just sailing it in hiking mode. Sailing it with a trapeze in any kind of half-decent breeze is asking for trouble. On the other hand, if you also replaced the mast with a one piece composite....

If you're interested in a trapeze on a "Laser" then check out the Laser II. As a sloop-rigged boat (ie with a main and a jib) it also has shrouds and is usually rigged with trapeze (and a spinaker).

ok first things first,

i'd like to establish what i do not know before all you old salts start lashing me with ever so popular "what? you didn't know that?" line.

i do not know if a trapeze set-up is even a concievable idea for a laser

i do not know if a trapeze is even a practical idea for laser sailing

i have experienced the concept of a trapeze on a catamaran.

i was wondering if it is a common or possible thing for laser sailors to do such a thing. it sounds very fun and even more comfortable than hiking out. so let me know if that was a stupid idea or not. thanks

yeah that makes sense, i can appreciate the structural aspecst of the laser. It just wasn't built with a trap in mind. But thats fine, thanks for the replies. Now i know. You never know till you ask.

With the Laser, I'd be more worried about punching the mast through the bottom of the boat (although snapping the unsupported upper-section of the mast off seems likely, too). One thing to remember is that traping actually unloads side force on the rig (think of the trap line as a sidestay), but you do generate more compression down to the mast-step.

Anyway, there's always: http://www.single-handedskiffs.com/

with a laser rig, you'll be denying the rig a chance to dump to leeward to dump off power.

i frequently solo my laser 2, and its no big deal... you just need a longer tiller extension to trapeze. i also use the spinnaker, and i don't think i could get into a laser today, its just too easy!

cant we all just get along??!!

I sail a laser (duh) and am in the process of getting a laser 2 to sail with family when its calmish.
dont tear me in half guys! ;)

same here when winds are medium i stand on the deck (i alos sail a radial)
Sometimes when me and my friends are bored when we're coming in from a race we'll stand on the deck. However, it frequently ends with at least one of us violently diving back into the boat to prevent a capsize or taking a brief swim.

Back