Transporting a laser in the back of a truck, precautions?

RyanM

I'm going to be picking up a laser soon and the only way I have of bringing it back is strapping it into the back of the truck.

At first I didn't think this would be an issue but I read a few things which made me somewhat concerned?

Is their a proper procedure for this? What precautions should I take? It could be raining..?

Appreciate any advice,
Ryan

Rain... not a big deal. It's a boat.... its designed to get wet :D.

However, how big is your bed? I have a full sized pickup wiht a 6 1/2 ft bed. I transproted my first laser from RI to MA with the transom up against the back of the cab, tailgate down, and lots of tiedowns. Even so, the bow stuck out about 4 ft from the end of the tailgate. It made the two hour trip no issue.

What you want to avoid is the development of pressure points on the hull. Dont put the bow over your cab and transom in the bed.... Dont extend the bow out over the back with the tailgate up.

Other than that, Tie her in good so it doesnt slip and stop every hour and a half or so to make sure the lines havent slipped.

oh yea... and little orange flag on the bow. It'd suck to have someone txting take out your bow.

I carried ole 83315 home in the back of an F-250 longbed. ( Yes, I like my carbon footprint. It doesn't get lost in the garage :rolleyes: )

I did turn it upside down, but other wise it was exactly as Krycek said. It will not fit between the wheelwells, so it's in there at an angle from side to side.

I made sure I had a line thru the bow handle, from one side of the bed to the other, to keep the thing from sliding out. Then a coupla other straps to make sure it wouldn't elevate out of the bed at highway speed. The spars went in beside the hull, all tied together then tied to the truck, sail and blades behind the seat in the cab.

Back