Trailers and Boom sleeves

Lasersail2

Two questions for those out there that are wiser than I. First, how much weight can be placed on top of a laser that is on a kitty hawk trailer. My dad and I built a system very similar to a lockpit that sits in my cockpit and holds my blades and spars. However, this system is probably heavier than the lockpit because it is made from plywood. I remove the spar/blade holder when not in use, but was wondering if leaving this system in place during regattas and when my boat is at the club would have any negative impact on the structural integrity of my hull. Second, I was wondering why the boom sleeve kit costs $23 on Layline and $46 on APS. Is one product different than the other? Or maybe one is mismarked? Any advice on either of these questions would be very helpful.
-Jeff

If the whole thing weighs less then the biggest dude you have seen sailing a laser it should be fine. The amount of abuse and forces applied while sailing a Laser well under normal conditions is pretty harsh. The top guys work the boats like mad and don't cause damage. The price difference? Mismarked probabley or someone i gouging us... again. Get the cheaper one it is most likely the same as the more expensive one.

just remember that the load on the hull are much more spread out when on the water i.e. its fine to sit next to the mast at the gunwhale when the boat is in the water, not so good when she's on the dolly, especially if you plonk down own it.

The load is spread out mainly over the two side supports on the KH trailer, which are about 9" long each on the sides. With just the hull, that works out to approx 7lbs per inch on the supports. I'm guessing the lockpit replica you made weighs under 60 pounds. That's about 3 lbs per inch additional load... I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

For comparison, the Seitech dolly has side supports about 4" wide. Just the hull alone sitting on that works out to 16+ lbs per inch of load. I've seen Lasers sitting for weeks on Seitech dollies, with the cockpit half full of water (which is something between 250-300 lbs) and suffer no ill effects in the rail area.

Lasersail2 said:
My dad and I built a system very similar to a lockpit that sits in my cockpit and holds my blades and spars

This lockpit thing sounds interesting - anyone got a link? I've checked Vanguard and APS, and googled, can't find it.
Thanks

Jon,

First click on "laser sailing" above, then click on "search this forum" on the tool bar above the first note, then put in "boom sleeve". It's been well discussed before.

Al Russell 138888

Jeff-
You probably should find some way of locking the system into your boat so that you don't get boards and such stolen when you store it a the club also will the shock cord hold in the boards?

Tyler

49208 said:

I personally dont think that this "Lock Pit" is such a good idea. You may think it is by you believing you're locking everything up and it is safe. Really, if you leave everything on your boat: dagger board, spars, tiller, rudder etc. it wouls make a pretty nice gift for someone looking for a boat. They can just come up and take the whole thing...blades and all. And you're probably thinking, but they cant use it anyways because the blades are locked, but if they really wanted it, they would figure out a way to get them out. That's just my two cents. I personally wouldn't buy it, my boat is kept at a sailing camp/club out in cottage country so everyone and anyone goes up there all the time.

Back