Trailer

Sailor Mom

Hello. Thank you for your guidance on storage - up vs down. Someone gave us a small boat trailer - Magic Tilt - to use for our sunfish. Is it okay to use a generic trailer for the fish?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 74
Hello. Thank you for your guidance on storage - up vs down. Someone gave us a small boat trailer - Magic Tilt - to use for our sunfish. Is it okay to use a generic trailer for the fish?

Always better for the hull if you can get help and trail the boat upside down. Trailing with deck up can result in indents in the hull depending on your support configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's okay. Try to get long bunks along the aft hull about the middle of each side, and a couple of supports at different points along the keel. Don't strap the boat too tight or a big bump can punch a hole in the boat. Make sure the bunks are cushioned, strapping a pool noodle to them is not a bad idea.

I saw plenty of boat trailers set up for hull up and hull down at the Masters in Pensacola, so it doesn't seem to matter to me.

Hull up has a flatter surface against the bunks. A little easier to deal with getting the bunks to contact maximum area of the top than making them conform to the bottom.

Hull up has a flatter surface against the bunks. A little easier to deal with getting the bunks to contact maximum area of the top than making them conform to the bottom.
Agreeing with fhhuber's assessment.

The deck (upper) surface is designed to support the skipper's (and passenger's) entire weight while afloat. (Which gently spreads the skipper's—and passenger's—load fully across the entire wetted lower surface).

As I discovered when pulling the hull over rollers, the lower surface is very flexible, and could account for loosening of floatation blocks while trailering. :( (Or pulling onto rollers). :oops:

Back