Trailer Box

Scott B

I built this box on my trailer several years ago, and thought I would share these photos with everyone. Yes, it is overkill - yes, it took way too long to build - but it works.

The box will hold 2 complete sets of spars and boards, a dolly (taken apart), my parts box and tool box. I think a second dolly will fit if I take out my part and tool boxes.

The box is 10 feet long, 47 inches wide (trailer width) and 12 inches tall - it weights more than the boat! But, the weight on the trailer springs provides a smooth highway ride for the boat. The boat cradles are made of 4 inches of open cell foam, and support the boat upright or upside down.

The three access doors are lockable, taking a lot of the worry out of parking overnight in a hotel parking lot.

If anyone is going to build their own box, feel free to incorporate any of these ideas. This design is not perfect, but I don't know how I would change it. As I said, it serves its purpose well.

Attachments

• FL000001.jpg
    FL000001.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 123
  • FL000003.jpg
    FL000003.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 108
  • FL000005.jpg
    FL000005.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 103
  • FL000006.jpg
    FL000006.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 122
  • FL000007.jpg
    FL000007.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 99
  • FL000009.jpg
    FL000009.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 128
Overkill- not at all. My trailer's box is a foot longer and 6 inches higher. Then again, it's meant for three sets of gear. I also have a roll-on feature.

I really like the foam idea, I might have to incorporate that in the next upgrade.

I can see where the extra 6 inches in height would be nice inside the box. That would really raise the boat up.

I would have liked to have a roll-on feature, but couldn't come up with an idea I really liked. I have thought about backing this trailer down the launch ramp (to the water's edge, not in the water) to see if I could launch by myself. I should probably try that someday.

computeroman2, do you have picture of your roll-on feature?

Scott,
I finally got around to taking some pics today. They're too big to post here, but if you'd like to see them you can email or PM me.

Back