touch up paint for deck?

MichaelLove

I am a new member, just got a Laser for my daughters, $650 - you get what you pay for. The bow could use some repair to the fiberglass and I would like to match the color of the deck. Has anyone found a good match for the ivory color of the deck in a spray can? There are many, many shades of off-white at the hardware stores and the car parts stores. From Krylon "ivory" to ''92 Camaro "white"? to '72 Dodge "cream"? - there is probably a very close match somewhere. Anybody had any luck finding a match?

I'm in the UK and recently spent some time looking for a match for the old off-white colour. It seems that you can buy gel coat in the two Laser grey coulurs - Dawn Grey and Velor Grey, but for the off-white you need to buy the off-white gel coat kit which contains 3 different shades which you mix together to make the best match that you can. It's not too difficult if you use a glass mixing bowl (not from your wife's best set) and keep mixing until it look right - then add the catalyst (hardner). I think the problem is the old Lasers fade at different rates so they are all slightly different colours. Good luck.

Great question as I am in the same spot and would like to know too.

The next question is enamel or lacquer? You can put emanel over lacquer but never lacquer over enamel. I assume you can put either over the original gelcoat. I was planning on using lacquer as it drys fast and depending on how much time you want to spend, can wetsand, compound (and if you are insane, crest toothpaste) out any orange peeling and make it look like new fiberglass, and later touch-up easily.

What is the best filler for dings, scratches and hairline cracks.

And lastly, epoxy or polyester to repair the bow?

I'll answer my own question. I repaired the chips at the bow gunwale with thickened epoxy because it holds up better than Bondo. I used packing tape over the repair to hold the filler in place while it hardend and provide a better contour - less sanding. After a few failed tests I found Rustoleum "Antique White" to be a acceptably close match to deck color. Sanding the area with 600 blended the edge and broke the gloss for a better result that is than I expected.

Back